• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nocmigging Sound Recorder. (1 Viewer)

Simmo1111

Hi everyone.
I'm looking to buy my first hand held recording device for doing some 'nocmigging' recordings. Having looked at loads of reviews and varying opinions, I'm not much wiser to be honest. The Zoom range get mixed reviews ranging from 'really good' to 'theres better for less cash' .. The same for the Sony range etc etc to the point where I've more or less gone full circle and ended up back at square one.
Ultimately I'd be looking for a decent recorder to start off with but with a view of adding a good quality shotgun mic to it at some point in the future.
I'm not looking to spend too much to start with but would be happy to go to £200 for a good recorder to start me off.
Any advice regarding a good starter model would be very welcome.

Thanks very much.

Dave.

Hi Dave,

Just bought an Olympus LS11 myself. Good build, compact, quality recordings & can currently be bought fairly easily for around £100. I believe that a shotgun can be added later if required. There is lots of info in the web covering this, either here on BF or elsewhere. Have fun!

RB

Seems a fairly reasonable starter rig; pro reflectors can be prohibitively expensive for newbies. If you try it, please post review/experiences here, I'm sure it would be of interest to many.

Cheers,

RB

Will do RB. I ended up with a Tascam DR-05 Version 2 Dictaphone Linear PCM Portable Recorder and then the dish/mic setup as stated. Looking forward to giving it a pop and have now downloaded Audacity. All looks fairly straightforward. Thanks once more for your help mate.

I like your new setup, don't forget to take along some inexpensive but useable lightweight headphones or earphones. In this country headphones get wet, hence the inexpensive. Cheap stereo head/ear phones work, stuff designed for smart phones probably won't.

They are a great help in making sure that your mic is pointing in the best direction and you are picking up what you expect both in recording standby and actually recording. The built in speaker is of limited use.

The microphone in your parabolic set-up may require plug-in power to work properly - this is turned on and off in the 'unit settings' menu. Its only 1.5v, but some mics don't work properly without it - others don't need it.

If something doesn't appear to be working, don't panic, 90% of the time there is a simple solution. If stumped - just ask. Your recorder is a very popular model and is reliable, (just don't get it wet).

Best of luck and have fun.

Last edited:
Must admit I was surprised when you said they were easily available for about £100 - I was thinking of buying a few up as spares at that price!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back