• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Texas Flycatchers (1 Viewer)

rylirk

United Kingdom
I think I may have posted a couple of these before, but I'm not sure any conclusions were reached. But the longer I look at these, the more I am convinced I have two different birds here. Both photos are taken in Junction, TX in May 2016. According to the Kimble County bird list, both Ash-Throated and Great-Crested Flycatcher are present in May (with Ash-Throated being the more common), but Dusky-Capped Flycatcher is not. Is it possible to ID any of these as specifically Ash-Throated and/or Great-Crested flycatchers?

All 5 photos are of different individuals. I have more photos of #3 from different angles if they would be useful.

Attachments

• DSC09506 (2).jpg
    DSC09506 (2).jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 40
  • DSC09557 (2).jpg
    DSC09557 (2).jpg
    309.1 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC09579 (2).jpg
    DSC09579 (2).jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 40
  • Great Crested Flycatcher.jpg
    Great Crested Flycatcher.jpg
    395.9 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC09907 (2).jpg
    DSC09907 (2).jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 47
While I am not disagreeing with Andy's identification of birds #3 and #4, I want to mention that Brown-crested Flycatchers are also found in Kimble County.

rylirk, do you have any other photos of bird #5?

I also thought the bill looked a little large for indigo bunting. Shame I couldn't get a photo in focus!

3 is Great-crested based on strong tertial pattern. 2 looks good for Great Crested based on chest / belly contrast.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back