• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lynx joins with Cornell (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

Worst person on Birdforum
Cyprus
Wasn't sure where to post this, mods can move it to anywhere they deem more appropriate.

For those who may not be on the mailing list, this is the text from a mail I received today. I have no idea what the implications of this are or how anything will change but can we expect a greater bias towards adopting American nomenclature in future?

'Lynx Edicions and the Cornell Lab of Ornithology join forces on HBW and IBC'

We are pleased to announce a new partnership between Lynx Edicions and the Cornell Lab of Ornithology as we join forces to create a permanent home for the renowned Handbook of the Birds of the World (HBW), along with the vibrant Internet Bird Collection (IBC) and its passionate global community of contributors. These two grand-scale projects will undergo further expansions and enhancements in their new digital home at the Cornell Lab, benefitting from the Lab’s technological infrastructure for supporting web-based publications, the Macaulay Library’s 100-year legacy of media archives and capabilities, and the rapidly growing data resources and global birding community of eBird.

With the Handbook of the Birds of the World, Lynx Edicions set an audacious goal: to create scholarly documentation and illustrations of the plumages, life histories, and systematics of all the world’s birds in a single, monumental reference series. That goal was accomplished with the completion of the 17-volume set in 2013. Achieving this magnum opus was not the end of the story, as Lynx then built an expansive online presence for the HBW material. HBW Alive has engaged a global community of authors to update content, building a lively network of collaborators and contributors. Alongside the HBW series, in 2002 Lynx developed and launched the Internet Bird Collection—an online community archive of multimedia celebrated by thousands of bird enthusiasts around the world. As HBW Alive was launched, the IBC enhanced its sister project via direct links to rich media that illustrate important facets of behavior described in the HBW Alive accounts.

For the past 25 years, the Cornell Lab of Ornithology has invested heavily in leveraging the power of the internet and rapidly advancing technologies to share authoritative information about birds with the world’s scientists and with public audiences. From developing revolutionary tools for birders such as eBird and Merlin, to gathering and archiving the world’s natural history media at the Macaulay Library, to serving the professional ornithological community through scholarly digital publications such as the Birds of North America Online and Neotropical Birds, the Lab is committed to developing and maintaining the technological and staffing infrastructure required to support and grow these services.

Our new collaboration combines the strengths of both institutions to create the best services for ornithologists, birders, and nature-lovers worldwide. We particularly welcome the opportunity to bring together our worldwide contributor communities to share in further developing these resources. Just as Lynx and the Lab have joined forces, we invite the HBW and IBC communities to join with the Cornell Lab’s global contributor community to become an even stronger, unified voice for understanding and conserving birds.

We are extremely excited by the possibilities and opportunities presented by the coming together of the globally significant ornithological projects and content of Lynx and the Cornell Lab. We know that questions will naturally come up, especially around the specifics of the transition, communities, media, and data. We intend for the look and feel of this content to remain unchanged for the near future, while we are very busy creating enhanced frameworks for ambitious new offerings to better serve our global audiences. Detailed announcements about the project will appear in the coming months, with messages about the specifics most important to our numerous birding and scientific communities. In the meantime, we thank you for your support and patience, and we hope that you share our excitement about this opportunity to sustain the excellence of the HBW and IBC long into the future.'

Ugh! I just posted same in books section seeing how I come at it from the original HBW physical releases...

Nomenclature, dumbed down spelling (grey/gray, colour/colour) and picture ownership came immediately to my mind! Funny how the glass looks half empty sometimes...

I think some kind of consolidation can be beneficial:
First you have all kinds of literature, research e.g. on the distribution of species.

Second you have e.g. data provided through ebird and other platforms.

If you combine both, you can get better insights in the distribution of species and update field guides / current HBW info / red list status,... (disclaimer: I am very much aware of the limited use of citizen data ALONE on e.g. distribution of species!)

What I e.g. really like about xeno-canto is they have one very dedicated map maker (Rolf de By) who is trying to get ssp. info into maps. That makes xeno-canto imho the first site to watch if you want to know the distribution of a species. If you could combine this with e.g. moderated ebird / observation / inaturalist /... sightings, distribution data of many species can be fed and up-to-date maps can be extracted every single day.

I hope HBW and Cornell will combine forces to get the best out of both, and ultimately, I would like to see that all those data (e.g. also xeno-canto) are combined into one system, in which each institute has its role and specialty (in order not to concentrate all data and use of data in one institute / place).

Wasn't sure where to post this, mods can move it to anywhere they deem more appropriate.

.... I have no idea what the implications of this are or how anything will change but can we expect a greater bias towards adopting American nomenclature in future?

Maybe it should be moved to the anti-american subforum? ;)

Maybe it should be moved to the anti-american subforum? ;)

You'll be claiming oppressed minority status next but let's be honest, America is working very hard to be unpopular and it seems to be working......B :)

Last edited:
I presume the IBWO account in HBW will now be updated to reflect its confirmed presence from Texas to Florida.

cheers, a

Cornell/Clements/eBird and Lynx/HBW/Birdlife currently have very different ideas on the world bird list so it will be interesting to see how they move forward on that one.

Steve

Ditto for you personally. . .. ;)

No need to get personal Mr Anonymous, at least I have the balls to use my real name, get back to your boring EMR thread.

Here's a line form a post here from someone who actually met my wife and I on a trip.

'Again, thanks for your help. You were both very nice people. One of these days we'll head out across the pond to your Isles for a trip and we'll look you up.'

Last edited:
The press release uses a lot of words to say nothing more than Lynx and Cornell will be collaborating, but surely this must amount to more than just merging online databases? Am I right in thinking that Lynx doesn't have any digital birding apps? In which case, there must surely be an intention to use Lynx / HBW content combined with Cornell's digital know-how to publish a series of birding apps / digital field guides?

The press release uses a lot of words to say nothing more than Lynx and Cornell will be collaborating, but surely this must amount to more than just merging online databases? Am I right in thinking that Lynx doesn't have any digital birding apps? In which case, there must surely be an intention to use Lynx / HBW content combined with Cornell's digital know-how to publish a series of birding apps / digital field guides?

They include QR codes for each species in the latest field guides so I assume they must have?

The press release uses a lot of words to say nothing more than Lynx and Cornell will be collaborating,

Indeed, not clear from that release what exactly they are planning. Apps is a possibility, as the HBW alive and also the new Lynx field guides have good content suitable for apps. (Lynx does not have any apps yet, the QR codes in the field guides link to the IBC website.)

If they plan to merge IBC with the Macaulay library, this will require some sort of choherent systematic. So an interesting question will be how they deal with their respective taxonomic lists (Birdlife/HBW and Clements).

I often see baffling acronyms on this forum, people just assume you are in the know whereas those of us overseas may have no idea. IBWO I am guessing is Ivory-billed Woodpecker.

I often see baffling acronyms on this forum, people just assume you are in the know whereas those of us overseas may have no idea. IBWO I am guessing is Ivory-billed Woodpecker.

Indeed so - I thought I'd make Andy do a bit of work - even typing those four letters into Google gives you an immediate (top) answer!

cheers, alan

No need to get personal Mr Anonymous, at least I have the balls to use my real name, get back to your boring EMR thread.

TAFFATM—

Here's a line form a post here from someone who actually met my wife and I on a trip.

'Again, thanks for your help. You were both very nice people. One of these days we'll head out across the pond to your Isles for a trip and we'll look you up’.

My God, a testimonial. How pathetic. . ..

Last edited:
Could you guys for once please not make this about personal animosities or language preferences?

Personally I'm stoked about this collaboration and even though there's not much information in the text above I really look forward to what's coming. How awesome would it be if all the different birding ressources could be combined into one huge project! This could be a starting point for something! I really hope it isn't just something minor.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back