Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Sony RX10 1V the new boy.

Old Monday 17th December 2018, 18:12   #201
Andy Hall
Notts Birder and Recorder

After a tweaking the settings, my first real attempt at the 4K video function on this camera. I have to say, this looks pretty darn good on a 4K screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjAG...ature=youtu.be
Old Tuesday 18th December 2018, 13:23   #202
MKinHK
Mike Kilburn

Would you upgrade from a RX10iii to a RX10iv?

I have had my RX10 iii for almost 2 1/2 yrs and have been delighted with it as a significant upgrade from the Canon SX50.

In aweeks’s time I am heading to Hokkaido for Steller’s Sea Eagles (and hoping for some decent bird in flight shots) and am thinking about making this the excuse to upgrade to the RX10iv.

I would like to ask:

A) Has anyone made this transition and was it worth it?
B) any indications of potential resale value?

Should this have previously been discussed I would welcome any guidance on where I might find this.

Thanks in advance
Mike

Hong Kong: Ultramarine Flycatcher, Rufous-faced Warbler, European Golden Plover (468)
Greater China: Franklin's Gull, Buff-breasted Sandpiper European Golden Plover (972)
Lifer: Middle Spotted Woodpecker, Steller's Sea Eagle
Old Saturday 12th January 2019, 15:33   #203
Jacek Zarzycki

I am also worried if this camera is suitable for taking pictures of birds in other circumstances than sunny day :) I saw many pictures of birds taken with Sony RX10 IV and almost all of them were done with very low ISO, f around 4-4,5 and shutter time 1/250-1/350 s. These are settings probably good for taking pictures form a hide with camera mounted on tripod. What I do is a walk, sometimes in a cloudy day or early morning/late afternoon, when there is no much light, there is need to use maximum focal length and very short time, and - in many cases f between at least 4-8. What do you think ? I am tempted to buy this camera, but I am afraid it is a little flexible in use
Old Saturday 12th January 2019, 16:30   #204
Steve Babbs
Steve Babbs

Without doing a lengthy comparison I'd say it is about two stops more noisy than my Canon 7D mark ii. As I used that with a f5.6 100 - 400 lens, for most wildlife shots, it's f4 lens meakes up for one of those stops. It is at its best a f4 but I rarely feel the need for anything else for most shots as it has a greater depth of field than a SLR. I imagine that I will never use a tripod with the Sony.

I bought mine a year ago and haven't used my SLR since, for wildlife shots anyway, despite two trips to rainforests. I will be dusting off the SLR for a trip to the Western Sahara soon but that's going to be largly nocturnal and we won't be wandeing much from the car so the weight won't matter.

@SteveBabbs
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: