• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nerds! UK Big Year 2018 (1 Viewer)

McMadd

You should see the other bloke...
For all those pining for lack of Year list attempts...there's a UK one on-going. I found it by following a link elsewhere on this forum...let's see who else can find it...

Anyone know what finally happened to the Big Year 2016 in UK ??????

Was anything ever published/printed etc etc ????

Absolutely nothing.

One of the dispiriting things about that is that it leaves the 'record' (?) in a bizarre state of flux which would put off anyone mad enough to think about giving it a crack. (I'll leave to one side my view about the need for clarity and contemporaneous publication in the Strycker/Dwarhuis/WP Big Year team mould for a total to be truly vetted and credible as it may lead to even more Antipodean opprobrium to be heaped on my armchair.)

All the best

For all those pining for lack of Year list attempts...there's a UK one on-going. I found it by following a link elsewhere on this forum...let's see who else can find it...

I'm trying for 220 in Hampshire as usual. Is that it?

cheers, a

No, too hard - I normally manage 180-200 photographed. You try flying Jack Snipe - in the rain!

cheers, a

I have tried that and I have always failed. I intend to try again at the weekend. I only tend to get photos of Jack Snipe when they are obvious:-

https://ebird.org/media/catalog?userId=USER674479&q=jack snipe&user=Paul Chapman

A deficit of 20-40 seems a bit high though. I remember someone suggesting that the WP Big Year guys should be able to go for 100% photographed or near enough. ;)

That said, I'm only 86/110 for Somerset photographed so far this year.

All the best

Can't see any running total to accompany his sightings?

Doesn't look 'full on' to me, as he doesn't seem to have been for much yet and there have been a few wintering rarities to mop up which he hasn't seen. Good luck to him though - I'm sure he'll see more in Britain (and Ireland?) this year than me! :t:

cheers, alan

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back