• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

sigma 300mm ex dg hsm. (1 Viewer)

stevo

sigma 300mm 2.8 ex dg hsm.

Hi all.

Just bought this lens & it comes with a rear drop in filter.Question is,is this filter needed?

Cheers.

Steve.B :):t:

Last edited:
Thanks I understand about how a polarizing works,just needed to clarify whether the filter was part of the optical set-up & need to be left in or not?

Cheers.

Steve.

Hello,

This lens comes with two filters in the box (same as the 500 4.5, both use the same filter holder and filters). One is a cricular polarizing filter, the other a plain clear filter. If I remember correctly the plain filter should be in place when using the lens, unless it is switched with the polarizer. My understanding is that it is part of the optical design to have a filter in place. Nor sure how much of a difference it makes if the plain filter is left out and the holder is left empty.
On the sigma website you may be able to find and download the user manual for this lens for clarification.

UH

Hello,

This lens comes with two filters in the box (same as the 500 4.5, both use the same filter holder and filters). One is a cricular polarizing filter, the other a plain clear filter. If I remember correctly the plain filter should be in place when using the lens, unless it is switched with the polarizer. My understanding is that it is part of the optical design to have a filter in place. Nor sure how much of a difference it makes if the plain filter is left out and the holder is left empty.
On the sigma website you may be able to find and download the user manual for this lens for clarification.

UH

Thanks.

Steve.

Hello,

UH

Thats a bit interesting, from the sigma EX DG 500mm/4.5 manual:

"This lens has been designed to deliver optimum performance with a filter installed in the lens assembly. The quality of the picture decreases if the filter is not installed inside the lens. Please, always use a filter inside the lens assembly. Stray light and dust entering from the insertion slot of the filter holder can affect exposure and cause poor pictures if the filter holder is not in the lens assembly."

https://www.sigma-imaging-uk.com/image/data/pdf/Manuals/184-Instruction Manual.pdf

That a simple UV-filter would have any crucial positive effect on image quality when using a digital camera seems bit murky to me. Digital cams are not sensitive to UV light. If shooting on analog film, using UV filter make more sense.

Sigma 300mm and 500mm EX DG were designed for digital cameras back in the days though (both released 2005).

Anyway, I would definitely keep the filter holder and filter in place for protective reasons.

Last edited:
That a simple UV-filter would have any crucial positive effect on image quality when using a digital camera seems bit murky to me. Digital cams are not sensitive to UV light. If shooting on analog film, using UV filter make more sense.

Sigma 300mm and 500mm EX DG were designed for digital cameras back in the days though (both released 2005).

Anyway, I would definitely keep the filter holder and filter in place for protective reasons.

Most higher magnification microscope objectives are corrected for use with coverslips -also just a piece of glass-, and the high preformance ones even recommend a certain thickness.

Thanks for the replies,I sent my lens back(seperate issue)As in keeping with just about every sigma lens i've owned it gave me soft images.Will stick with my canon 100-400mm mkii,which blows the socks off of the former.

Cheers.

Steve.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back