• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

another monopod question (1 Viewer)

David Smith

Warrington Lancs
I am thinking of purchasing a monopod but never having used one I am trying to work out what minimum height is necessary.......

I am 5' 7"
I want to photograph birds but they might well be overhead.

The Manfrotto 680 seem popular but (if I am reading it correctly) only extends to 60". Even with my relativley short height this seems inadequate.
I would be interested to read your comments.
Thanks

If you want to snap birds overhead then you will have to get some kind of head to go on the monopod - make sure that the head will take the weight of the camera/lens combo that you intend to use with it. With big lenses the head is more difficult than the pod to get right IMO.
The size of the head plus the lens tripod foot and camera will all increase the overall height from ground to eyepiece on the camera. I am 5'9" and never found any problem with the 680B but I must say I never found monopods much good for high flyers, many a time I used to pick the whole lot up (pod and all) to try and capture flyers - most unwieldy!

I use one of the Giottos 3270B monopods and fit the 5001 head from my tripod.

I'm six foot and have no proble at all with it, best thing, they're a bit cheaper than the Manfrottos. Having checked both brands, I feel it's every bit as good.

David,
I use a Vanguard Tracker AP-364 it extends to 70" high or 177.8 cm. I use an Manfrotto head#234 with a wimberley Arca swiss style Quick release Plate. Total weight is 3 pounds, It makes a great walking stick, Its anodized aluminum, I have shot Birds Sheep and everything in between. The neat thing about it if you need a spike foot you screw the Rubber foot inward and the spike appears. I am 5' 10'' and it works great.

Jim

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back