• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (9 Viewers)

Thanks very much Gary ..

I found Orgreave OK and was there from about 7:15am .. Plenty to see but no phal or twite .. I even managed to miss the snow bunt too !!

A good day :-O

I missed out on the snow bunting too. Never seen one, nor a lapland. Off work the week after next and wondering about a trip to Filey-I guess they'll still be around? Any information gratefully received!

Couple of hours at Barmston failed to turn up any Blyth's Pipits but did produce plenty of Brents moving up and down the coastline plus some at sea Gadwall. Some Common Scoter and a few dabbling ducks were the best of the rest with a complete lack of poms or little auks.

Few pics from today

PiedWheatear003edited.jpg

Woodlark013edited.jpg

8NovBirds003.jpg

Long-earedOwl024edited.jpg

Last edited:
Been a decent couple of days at Filey: 4-5 Short-eared and 2-3 Long-eared Owls, several Sparrowhawks moving through, 15 or so Snow Bunts and a couple of Laps at least, a Water Rail in Top Scrub, single Wheatear, a couple of Redpolls, the odd Reed and Yellow bunt also, light sprinkling of Goldcrests and Long-tailed Tits, Blackcap, couple of Chiffs, lots of thrushes: several hundred Blackbirds, Redwing and Fieldfares and fewer Song Thrushes and of course the Glossy Ibis is still at the Dams. Decent increase in thrushes again today and a sizeable increase in Robins although given the conditions you might have expected a bit more. Single Whooper also. Couple of Weasels causing a scene in Top Scrub was good fun.

The Bay Corner was good today towards high tide with a good mix of waders including: Redshank, Knot, Turnstone, Oystercatcher, Dunlin and 16+ very approachable Purps that stole the show.

Attachments

• purps1.jpg
    purps1.jpg
    354.2 KB · Views: 87
  • purps2.jpg
    purps2.jpg
    370.5 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
It's normally quite tricky to get close to the Short-eared Owls on the Humber, but this one was perched in the only tree in the reedbed ;)

Attachments

• 09-11-11SEO067BAM.jpg
    09-11-11SEO067BAM.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 116
Great to see Bird Forum being used as another way of promoting Yorkshire Birding.
All birders are welcome to join 'Yorkshire Birders 2011' if you have a Facebook profile to post pics, reports, chat, start discussions etc..

The American Wigeon showing well this morning from the north bank at Wintersett.

Anyone know the best place to look for the Cetti's Warbler?

The American Wigeon showing well this morning from the north bank at Wintersett.

Anyone know the best place to look for the Cetti's Warbler?

I assume they are in the edge along the north bank east of the boat club near where the Penduline Tit was seen on Sunday.

ps a great rendition of WACCOE at ER last week even the Blackpool keeper appreciated it!! on n on

Users who are viewing this thread

Back