• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Photshop Elements and External Hard drive? (1 Viewer)

Baron Birder

I run Photoshop Elements 4 and use its back up facility to make regular incremental backups onto an External Hard drive. So far I havent had to refer to it or carry out any restore.

The files on my c drive are in folders per location and tagged or put into collections using Elements.

Using the back up facility it seems to renumber the files starting with B0000... onwards.

This may sound a daft question but does that mean that the files on my external are only good for restoring and not for viewing in Elements Browser?

When I opened the External and answered the question as to what I wanted Windows to do, with the answer Organise and Edit using Elements it starting trying download all 35,000 files which of course I stopped.

Ap0logies for my apparent lack of understanding but it all started when someone suggested I could use just my external hard drive for all my photos and not my c drive; and I cant see how that would work because of the above.

Any help or guidance to get my head around this would be wonderful
Thanks
BB

What you can do is select the file you wish to use and drag it across into the software you are using (click once and hold it down whilst moving). If the file is only good for backing up your files it shouldn't work, however if they are just duplicate files (which i suspect) then they should open up normally. Also that way you wont have to use all 35,00 :t:

And that is where the problem arises. Whilst on the c drive the files were in their folders on the backup they dont appear in folders just one list of files starting B0001......

Unless you have the option of backing them up with their original file name it's not much use using Elements, (problem with Adobe is it has it's own way of doing some things). If you've still got them on your C drive copy them to your external drive in their own folders using Windows Explorer and then delete the B000... ones, if you haven't got them on your C drive not much you can do about it unless you want to rename all 35000 of them to their original names.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back