• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

laser treatment (1 Viewer)

phyllosc

I am currious. A non birding colleague recently had her eyes lasered and says her vision has improved considerably. She can now read the bottom line of the optician's chart and thus doesn't need glasses/contacts.

Has any one in BF had similar treatment and has it improved their birding?

I have had glasses for years and even with them know my vision isn't as good as other peoples. It seems tempting to have the laser treatment if such improvement is possible. Any thoughts out there?

David Carr
Essex, UK

I know quite a few people who have undergone the surgery, and the majority have had great improvement in their vision -- to the point of never wearing glasses again.

I've often considered it myself, but can't afford it.

HOWEVER, on this subject, I read a few days ago of a possible big risk to birds. People who use laser sights on their telescopes to locate a bird for digiscoping are in effect zapping the bird with a laser and it is thought that should this laser get into the birds eyes, it may seriously damage them. I am not sure if it is true but it is open to comment. Perhaps this reply should be in Andy Brights digiscoping forum.

Again on this subject, a few years ago whilst birding in the far north west of Scotland, I was advised by a military man when I was checking to see if a bombing range was active or not, that I should not look at incoming planes to the range (I was in a public and thus safe area) with binnies or scope because they would be using laser guided bombs and I might accidentally get an eyeful of laser thru my optics. I know that it is rare to be in that situation but it maybe a risk.

Colin

The laser procedure works well, my Mom 89, had it done with great results. I'm thinking about it myself.

Colin, you bring up a good point about "laser sights" and birds being affected. If we can sustain damage I'm sure they can also. THanks for that warning.

It was on TV about this topic this week, it seems some people have come out of treatment less than satisfied, and even worse off.

My take on laser eye treatment is that it is a surgical procedure - and like any surgical procedure, it could (and I stress could) go badly wrong.

That is not to say that it hasn't been a godsend to many people - but, and this is just my opinion - I would not do it unless the consequences of not doing so were worse than if it went wrong.

I don't want to knock cosmetic surgery, because it depends upon the individual as to how important that is, but laser eye surgery is a similar prospect. It is an attempt to revert the ravages of time, and (correct me if I am wrong) I don't think it is a lifelong solution.

So, Dave, I can't give you any horror stories, but personally I would stick to spectacles - with which I can see the bottom line of the optician's chart.

But of course, I can't see through your eyes, so maybe it is more of a requirement for you?

I have 'astigmatisms' (if that's the right spelling?) in both eyes. This gives everything a slightly fuzzy edge and thus my eyes lack the sharpness most people have. My glasses help correct this a lot but I understand no prescription can give 100% correction.

I have problems picking out distant raptors from a bright sky, aspecially a white sky which is probably why I preffer warblers!

Dave Carr

Yes, there has been a bit in the news recently about Laser treatment. The bit that I remember was that there is a discrepancy between the statistics that the treatment clinics put out and the 'true' figures. The clinics say that one in a hundred (1%) operations goes wrong, whereas the actual figure is one in ten (10%). I know someone who has had successful laser surgery, but for the time being I'm sticking to my specs.

Alan Hill

This is a very confusing thread with two quite distinct elements: (1) the effect on humans of laser treatment for eyesight problems, and (2) the effect on birds of using laser sights on telescopes. There is another forum for (2); it's an interesting topic but not within this thread.

Alan Hill

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back