• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fieldfares! (1 Viewer)

Wendy Morris

Sitting innocently minding my own business, having my lunch in the summer house and I became aware of birds flying over the garden and generally around the village. Immediate thought was Starlings, but the flight was wrong. Picked up the bins and realised they were Fieldfares. About two dozen of them were dancing around in the sky for about 20 minutes, then they buzzed off to the west.

I'm going out for a walk this afternoon and hope that I might see more of them, but they may be working their way over to see Sue on the other side of the hill!

I'm going out for a walk this afternoon and hope that I might see more of them, but they may be working their way over to see Sue on the other side of the hill!

Hi Wendy

Great news that they are around again. A great feel good factor, that they are here for a while. Send them over to Sue or here by all means. o:)

I really hope that you see more of them, and you get close to them again with you bins in hand ;)

Gosh they are noisy though. They like to make their presence known especailly if they see a person below the trees they are hiding in. :eek!:

Enjoy today!!, and your sitings :t:

Regards
Kathy

Great news and well spotted Wendy......hope you get some more later!:t:
My hubby saw one sat at the side of the road on his way home tother night but as yet I've not spotted any!

Hello Wendy, we had none on site today i supose they have headed south. Proably be with you in a few days. They seem to be starting to come in strong now even with the winds against them. I supost the falling tempretures in the east are a lot more compelling than a feeble head wind!! I will send the next flock to you via Ruth!!

Hi Wendy,

No good over here, not that I saw anyway. Still maybe tomorrow. I had a look in the usual field at Martock, but no joy yet, too early for there anyway.

Good luck with more sightings of them yourself......and sending them my way please, after all it isn't that far now is it! Fingers crossed.

Sue.

Hi Wendy,
What a great suprise!
Fieldfares have alluded me so far. Last year was barmy with the amount of sightings on my local patch, but never when I was there! lol!
So with that in mind, go ahead and send them to Sue, they're bound to hide from me!
Well spotted Wendy :t:

They're a bit early aren't they? Over here everyone says they "bring" cold winters....oh dear!! Great that you saw them though, and aren't they noisy!!!

Hi Wendy,
A very good spot, I had gathered they were in, as before reading your post this morning, I had no less than 7 male blackbirds in the garden.
I suppose that a couple were this years young, but reckon the others were incomers.
George

Having only heard a call last weekend, today I saw about 50 flying high up in a westerly direction at approx 2.00pm. I'd just left the gym and only looked up because I heard them otherwise I felt a little tired to be on the lookout for stuff at that point. We've had redwing for a few weeks though.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back