• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Links to digitized versions of original sources of bird names (1 Viewer)

Bechstein 1812, Allgemeine Übersicht der Vögel 4 (2). Not on BHL; not on google books that I can find; not in the Animalbase list. Available anywhere, please?

Bechstein's books are sometimes a bit tricky, some are titled/cited in different ways ...

Knowing what precise bird/name you are looking for would help?

Bechstein's books are sometimes a bit tricky, some are titled/cited in different ways ...
- This is a commented translation by Bechstein of Latham's General synopsis of birds: you will find it attributed to Latham in some places.
- The work is in 8 Abtheilungen (parts), making up 4 Bände (volumes), and which are sometimes cited as 1-8, instead of 1(1) to 4(2). (IOW, something called 'Vol.4' can be the second Abtheilung of volume 2.) The first 6 parts followed each other in a fairly rapid sequence (1791, '93, '94, '95, '95, '98), but there was then a gap of 13 years before the publication of volume 4 started; this volume is apparently much rarer than the others (which are quite easily found online).
- Volume 4 also has an alternative title, being: Kurze Uebersicht aller bekannten Vögel oder ihre Kennzeichen der Art nach Lathams General synopsis of birds.
- Last: in the original titles, what would now be written Übersicht is spelled "Uebersicht" -- umlauts on capital letters are usual in German nowadays, but they were not back then: if you search for the work, you should try both spellings.

But, as of today, I don't find it online either.

"Nutcracker", those books by Bechstein was discussed last year in thread Some missing journals and books with Swedish Eponyms (here), which includes a hint on where to find it (however not digitized, but IRL).

The Staff of the Kiel University Library, in German, was very helpful to me.

Good luck finding the Curlew's OD.

Thanks! I guess I'll have to wait for someone to digitise it; I am not looking for a personal copy, but a link to a digitised page that can be cited for all to see :t:

"Nutcracker", those books by Bechstein was discussed last year in thread Some missing journals and books with Swedish Eponyms (here), which includes a hint on where to find it (however not digitized, but IRL).

The Staff of the Kiel University Library, in German, was very helpful to me.

Good luck finding the Curlew's OD.

Thanks! I guess I'll have to wait for someone to digitise it; I am not looking for a personal copy, but a link to a digitised page that can be cited for all to see :t:

Anyone know of any progress on these being digitised, please?

PS any chance of this thread being 'stickied', to make it easier to relocate after periods of inactivity?

PS any chance of this thread being 'stickied', to make it easier to relocate after periods of inactivity?
This would be a good thing, I think. It would also make the existence of the thread obvious to someone not aware of it.

PS -- Some more discussion about Bechstein's books (but no links yet): in [this thread].

Last edited:
The Indian Review ...

While roaming the internet randomly searching for James's missing OD for Bahila (see here) I happened to find the following, preceeding issue of the same Journal ... (not to be found on BHL):

The Indian Review And Journal Of Foreign Science And The Arts, Vol. 1, 1837 (full access here) ...

But beware! It´s a LARGE pdf file (83,97 Mb), however it includes (for example):

• DESCRIPTIONS OF SUNDRY NEW SPECIES OF CINNYRIS INHABITING NEPAL, by B. H. Hodgson, 1836, (pp.272-274, digitized pp. 285-287)

• ON SOME NEW SPECIES OF THE EDOLIAN AND CEBLEPYRINE SUB-FAMILIES OF THE LANIIDÆ OF NEPAL, by B. H. Hodgson, 1836 (pp.324-329, digitized pp. 339-344)

• ON SOME NEW SPECIES OF THE MORE TYPICAL LANIIDÆ OF NEPAL, by B. H. Hodgson, 1836 (pp.445-447, digitized pp. 468-470)

Enjoy!

Björn
-

Last edited:
Systematisches Verzeichnis der naturhistorischen Sammlung der Gesellschaft Museum (Hartlaub 1844).

Selected pages only on google books (typically, not the page I'm wanting, p.44); not on BHL.

Has been reprinted (2014) as a dead tree edition, but I can't find a full online copy.

Systematisches Verzeichnis der naturhistorischen Sammlung der Gesellschaft Museum (Hartlaub 1844).

Selected pages only on google books (typically, not the page I'm wanting, p.44); not on BHL.

Has been reprinted (2014) as a dead tree edition, but I can't find a full online copy.
I see p. 44 of the reprint [here].
Garrulax bicolor ?

Edit - it's on BLH, actually: [p.44]
(Albeit under a title that is spelled slightly differently, and not attributed to Hartlaub. [Hartlaub's name appears only at the foot of the Vorwort, not on the title pages.])

Last edited:
I see p. 44 of the reprint [here].
Garrulax bicolor ?

Edit - it's on BLH, actually: [p.44]
(Albeit under a title that is spelled slightly differently, and not attributed to Hartlaub. [Hartlaub's name appears only at the foot of the Vorwort, not on the title pages.])

Excellent, thanks! Yep, Garrulax bicolor :t:

The BHL version works, but the reprint doesn't, I get "You have reached the limit blah blah blah"

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back