• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Question (1 Viewer)

Gladiator96

OK so basically some family members want to see whales in the wild before they get too old. I was wondering if you guys knew where to find the cheapest and most enjoyable whale watching trips.

I was thinking within Europe itself would be ideal so it would be involve cheaper flights (Ryanair?). The priority here is low cost. I know that there are whales to be seen in the Med but is it guaranteed?

Anyway thanks for reading and I would appreciate if you could share any knowledge :t:

I can give you two options -

1, Tromso - Norway - November/December - stunning views of both Humpback & Killer Whales feeding on herring in the fjords (+ Northern Lights).
Flights from Gatwick are fairly cheap during Nov - Dec.

2, Azores - Portugal - May - September - Direct Flights with Ryanair, but only on Saturdays. If flying mid week you can fly to Lisbon and then to Sao Miguel ( I did the later in May and got all four flights for less than £100) - Species - Fin, Blue, Sperm, Sei, Pilot, Killer, Humpback & beaked Whales + at least five species of Dolphin and beautiful scenery.
I speak from experience for both, hope this helps.

Steve

I can give you two options -

1, Tromso - Norway - November/December - stunning views of both Humpback & Killer Whales feeding on herring in the fjords (+ Northern Lights).
Flights from Gatwick are fairly cheap during Nov - Dec.

2, Azores - Portugal - May - September - Direct Flights with Ryanair, but only on Saturdays. If flying mid week you can fly to Lisbon and then to Sao Miguel ( I did the later in May and got all four flights for less than £100) - Species - Fin, Blue, Sperm, Sei, Pilot, Killer, Humpback & beaked Whales + at least five species of Dolphin and beautiful scenery.
I speak from experience for both, hope this helps.

Steve

Thanks a lot o:) this is a great start. Second one sounds amazing. Is there a particular company in the azores that does affordable tours?

There are two main operators that I used - Futurismo and Moby Dick Tours. Moby Dick tours are cheaper and in my opinion give you more value for money. I had exceptional views Of Fin, Blue & Sperm Whale with Moby Dick, I just wish they'd update their website & facebook page more often to let people know whats been seen.
Good luck.

There are two main operators that I used - Futurismo and Moby Dick Tours. Moby Dick tours are cheaper and in my opinion give you more value for money. I had exceptional views Of Fin, Blue & Sperm Whale with Moby Dick, I just wish they'd update their website & facebook page more often to let people know whats been seen.
Good luck.

awesome. much appreciated :t::t:

Futurismo are the more responsible company re welfare of Whales and Dolphins.
Moby Dick chased them relentlessly when I was there.
I was in the Azores in May and we saw Sei, Fin, Blue and Sperm Whales plus Bottlenose and Common Dolphins.
Check out Azores Whale Watching on Facebook.

Tarifa in Spain have plenty of operators offering trips in the Starits of Gibraltar: Common, Striped and Bottlenose dolphins and pilot Whales are all common. While Killer Whales, Sperm Whales and Fin Whales are occasionally seen depending on season.

Mark

I also did Tarifa (July 2014), Dolphins and Pilot Whales are pretty well guaranteed. The larger Whales, however, are much harder to get.

For big Whales go for the Azores in May or June.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back