• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping with the Nikon D3 (1 Viewer)

Neil

I finally got my new support bracket from "my old photographer mate" in Sydney and with some adjustments ( Manfrotto sliding plate at the back ) I set out for the local park this morning in misty rain.
I was using the Swarovski TLS800 (old version ) to connect the camera to the scope. Due to the low light levels the D3 was useful as I tested up to iso 25000 but was mostly shooting around iso 1600.
The whole setup was very firm.
I used the LiveView function a lot this morning and it was very useful. Only problem is that you can't use the Self-timer with it.
Neil

Attachments

• Al's adapter IMG_3644.jpg
    Al's adapter IMG_3644.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 479
  • bc night heron.TLS800.jpg
    bc night heron.TLS800.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 403
  • duck.TLS800.iso1000_DSC2721.jpg
    duck.TLS800.iso1000_DSC2721.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 305
  • goose.TLS800.iso1600_DSC2965.jpg
    goose.TLS800.iso1600_DSC2965.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 252
  • flamingo.TLS800.jpg
    flamingo.TLS800.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 269
Neil, is that a form of a T mount,,?? never seen a tube of that lenght between the camera and scope in a prime set up,,

I use my Oly E3 on my TeleVue TV85 scope with a T mount,, next step is to place it on my 3.5 Questar field model,,

Derry

Neil, is that a form of a T mount,,?? never seen a tube of that lenght between the camera and scope in a prime set up,,

I use my Oly E3 on my TeleVue TV85 scope with a T mount,, next step is to place it on my 3.5 Questar field model,,

Derry

Derry,
This is the info -
"The TLS800 is attached to the camera with a standard T2 intermediate ring.
Bayonet fitting for quick, easy and secure attachment t the telescope base unit
High-grade optical system consisting of eight lenses with Swartop and Swarodur coating"
Neil.

Neil, ended up buying the Olympus E-410, haven't played around too much so far. Now I have to work out what I need to connect it to the scope. Ernie

Neil, ended up buying the Olympus E-410, haven't played around too much so far. Now I have to work out what I need to connect it to the scope. Ernie

Hi Ernie,
If you are going to use it on your Zenithstar 80 then send us a pm. I just recently sold my ZS80 to upgrade to the Skywatcher Evostar 80ED but I'm using all the same parts to mount my dslr to it so I can help you out if needs be. I sold my ZS80 on ebay for £250 wich was £30 more than I paid for it so I was well pleased. It was a nice scope but the Skywatcher optics are much better and the extra focal length gives more reach. Build quality isn't as good as the William Optics though but it's good enough.

Nice photos with the Nikon Neil. I really need a camera that can shoot at those high ISO's. The support bracket looks neat. Have you tried the Nikon and a lens through an eyepiece as a comparison?

Paul.

Hi Ernie,
If you are going to use it on your Zenithstar 80 then send us a pm. I just recently sold my ZS80 to upgrade to the Skywatcher Evostar 80ED but I'm using all the same parts to mount my dslr to it so I can help you out if needs be. I sold my ZS80 on ebay for £250 wich was £30 more than I paid for it so I was well pleased. It was a nice scope but the Skywatcher optics are much better and the extra focal length gives more reach. Build quality isn't as good as the William Optics though but it's good enough.

Nice photos with the Nikon Neil. I really need a camera that can shoot at those high ISO's. The support bracket looks neat. Have you tried the Nikon and a lens through an eyepiece as a comparison?

Paul.

Paul,
No, I haven't tried the lens approach yet. Maybe tomorrow.
Neil.

I decided to put the D3 on the scope again yesterday, but this time I used a lens/eyepiece combo instead of the Swaro TLS eyepiece/adapter.
I used the Nikon 28/2.8 lens on the Swaro 30x eyepiece. Being a full frame sensor there was a little vignetting in the corners but I decided it wasn't enough to bother me . I need a 35/3.5 to eliminate the vignetted corners. That will have to wait a while.
In contrasty , side-lighting yesterday I digiscoped birds coming to water at the local park in the heat wave we are having here.
Neil.

Nikon D3 plus Nikon 28/2.8 lens on Swarovski STS80HD scope and Sw 30x eyepiece and DCA adapter.

Hong Kong Park,
Hong Kong,
China.
July 2008

Attachments

• bc starling.juv.D3.nik28mm.sw30x.adj_DSC4070.jpg
    bc starling.juv.D3.nik28mm.sw30x.adj_DSC4070.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 236
  • spotted dove.D3.nik28mm.sw30x_DSC3834.jpg
    spotted dove.D3.nik28mm.sw30x_DSC3834.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 207
  • wr munia.D3.nik28mm.sw30x_DSC4425.jpg
    wr munia.D3.nik28mm.sw30x_DSC4425.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 248
Nice sharp pictures Neil. Those saying that DSLRs are not good for digiscoping won't be sleeping well tonight !

Neil,
Not spending too much time on the digiscoping part bird forum these days as I'm concentarting on DSLR with a 400mm lens.

But same as you I belive there is still some potential in DSLR digiscoping. I'm interested in using my normal scope eyepiece and using a 28mm or 50mm lens and using it like a point and shoot camera. camera. How are you finding it, do you think it could be significantly better than using a point and shoot camera.

Kev

Neil,
Not spending too much time on the digiscoping part bird forum these days as I'm concentarting on DSLR with a 400mm lens.

But same as you I belive there is still some potential in DSLR digiscoping. I'm interested in using my normal scope eyepiece and using a 28mm or 50mm lens and using it like a point and shoot camera. camera. How are you finding it, do you think it could be significantly better than using a point and shoot camera.

Kev

Kev,
I'm still doing both. Yesterday I had the Olympus E420 and the Canon G6 out in the local park. My D3 is in for service at the moment (problem with the 1.4x tele connection ).
I'm treating the E420 as a digicam and using it's great LiveView feature to get many of my images but it's buffer is still a bit small for long sequences of action , eg. flamingos bathing in the local park or egrets fighting over food.
I like the digicam where I need to be unobtrusive eg in a hide in the bush at very close distances (6 - 10 metres) I don't want any noise at all, or where I want to use special features eg the multiple frame self-timer of the Canons.
The Auto Focus of the Canon G6 and Nikon 8400 and P5100 that I use is much more accurate than my Manual Focusing too. With the Olympus E420 though I can get AF in LiveView Mode in good light so the difference between the two systems is narrowing and will disappear soon, if not already.
I also want RAW so that limits my choices with digicams, and I want low noise images too.
If you can get the vibration issue out of the equation then a light-weight,low noise DSLR with good LiveView is the way to go. But bear in mind that it won't be ready for the quick flight shot if it's on the scope.
Neil.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back