• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Micro focusers (1 Viewer)

I presume that turning the small wheel 1 whole turn will move the focuser only a tenth of the distance to a whole turn of the big wheel. One whole turn of the small wheel will only move the focuser about 1mm or thereabouts.

Paul.

Last edited:
Yeah I presume that too, ten turns of the small wheel equals to one turn of the big wheel. Wonder if the backlash of the gears are that fine to accommodate the fine focusing.

Hi,

The one you have out the link up for is a replacement to one side of a Skywatcer/Syntha focusor, they have gearing inside with a 1/10 ratio, so you will need to turn the little bit ten times to turn the outer one once. One side of the focuser remains normal.

These are really useful for fine focus.

Chris

The quick fix way to do this with the Synta focusers is to change one of the wheels for a bigger sized one. It's crude but it works as the diameter of the wheel controls the speed or how fine that you can focus.

Paul.

Yeah, like Paul said, just install a bigger wheel and you get similar effect. The Micro mechanism only control the turning of the gear. The pinion remain the same. Thus if you have a slack or if the free play is a little bit high, the micro mechanism won't do any good.

Hi Alphan,

There is no pinion in a crayford focuser, I think some of the USA Celestron scopes had Rack and Pinion focusers, but this 1:10 mod would not work with them anyway.

Chris

Hi Chris, thanks for enlightening me on that. What I am saying is, the micro only turn the bigger knob and any free play would still be there, with or without micro. Correct me if I am wrong, please.

Edited: Just found an article on Crayford focuser. No free play with this system, Mostly weight self tensioning.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back