• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Comparing Superzooms (1 Viewer)

Attached is a resized shot of a Spruce Grouse, using the Fuji HS20, automatic focusing. It's not a DSLR, but at 26 oz., it's good enough for me, and unlike digiscoping, available over uneven ground in dense bush.

The focus check screen for manual focus now occupies the entire surface of the EVF/LCD, an improvement over the HS10.

Mike

Attachments

• Spruce Grouse.JPG
    Spruce Grouse.JPG
    167.2 KB · Views: 186
I used to have a Panasonic Lumix FZ18 and have now upgraded to the Canon SX30IS and am delighted with the results. The FZ18, with its Leica lems, was a great camera but the HD video and 35x optical zoom on the Canon has totally eclipsed the Panny.

I used to have a Panasonic Lumix FZ18 and have now upgraded to the Canon SX30IS and am delighted with the results. The FZ18, with its Leica lems, was a great camera but the HD video and 35x optical zoom on the Canon has totally eclipsed the Panny.

Hi there
would you be able to post some samply shots with an idea of the zoom used on each please? It would be good to see how well it compares to the FZ18.
Thanks
Hobbes

Attached is a resized shot of a Spruce Grouse, using the Fuji HS20, automatic focusing. It's not a DSLR, but at 26 oz., it's good enough for me, and unlike digiscoping, available over uneven ground in dense bush.

The focus check screen for manual focus now occupies the entire surface of the EVF/LCD, an improvement over the HS10.

Mike

Hi Mike
Glad to hear you're enjoying your HS20. The picture seems a little grainy/misty to me but that might be my monitor or the resizing. Anyways, all that matters is that you're happy with the results. :t:
Hobbes

Hi there
would you be able to post some samply shots with an idea of the zoom used on each please? It would be good to see how well it compares to the FZ18.
Thanks
Hobbes

Will do but need to get it back off my son first - watch this space!

Hobbes,

Actually there was a lot of ground mist rising from snow that day.

However, that particular shot was at ISO1600, with medium pixel density, F5.6, at 1/105.

I prefer the manual zoom of the HS20, not getting on very well with the Nikon P500. I haven't tried the Canon, the Panasonic, or the Sony, all of which use powered zooms.

From looking at Neil's photos on another thread (and the experience of other photographer's using DSLRs on the same trip that produced the Spruce Grouse) it seems unlikely that a superzoom is going to exactly match their resolution.

That being said, you won't find me carrying a two ton, multi-thousand dollar DSLR/lens.

Mike

Hobbes,

not getting on very well with the Nikon P500.

I'm just curious what's not going your way with the P500. I have the P100 and never use it any more in favor of the new Canon SX30.

The P100 had a terrible time focusing on what was in the center of the view. I never even considered the P500 thinking that it was unlikely that Nikon would fix that problem.

As it is, the Canon is doing great and in-focus photos from both vastly favor the Canon. In hindsight, the P100 was a bit crap. Idle curiosity make me wonder if the P500 is any better.

Hobbes,

Actually there was a lot of ground mist rising from snow that day.

However, that particular shot was at ISO1600, with medium pixel density, F5.6, at 1/105.

I prefer the manual zoom of the HS20, not getting on very well with the Nikon P500. I haven't tried the Canon, the Panasonic, or the Sony, all of which use powered zooms.

From looking at Neil's photos on another thread (and the experience of other photographer's using DSLRs on the same trip that produced the Spruce Grouse) it seems unlikely that a superzoom is going to exactly match their resolution.

That being said, you won't find me carrying a two ton, multi-thousand dollar DSLR/lens.

Mike

lol, fair enough Mike ;). Given the camera settings and the environmental conditions you mention, your photo is pretty darn good! I don't think I'd be able to make out even the shape of an object using that high an ISO on my camera :-O. Thanks for responding. Very interesting to hear your positive experience.
Hobbes

Idle curiosity make me wonder if the P500 is any better.[/QUOTE]

The P500 happened to be in stock in Hong Kong. Using the power zoom just seemed awkward, not stopping precisely at the intended perspective. Neil seems to be getting good photos from it.

Mike

Hi Hobbes

Here's a couple of shots from the Canon SX30SI. The pot of pansies is a 40x30cm crop of an outdoor shot from around 7m away and about 500mm zoom.

The goldfinch is a 40x30cm crop of a shot from about 17m away at 840mm zoom and through double glazing!

Attachments

• pansies_crop.jpg
    pansies_crop.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 133
  • goldfinch_crop.jpg
    goldfinch_crop.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 203
As I said in another boards... about the sx30:

Good things and Bad Things.

Good. The controls are pretty standard. If you know other canon point and shot controls and menu setting you know already 95%.
Full control of aperture/shutter speed. What is great. By the way you don´t even need to set on Manual... if you lock the exposure the camera show you the reasonable balance between the iso-aperture-shutterspeed, so you can select the composition you want.

Bad.What do not work about the control is the manual focus. Forget it. The manual focus simply don´t exist, don´t even try. The main reason why it don´t works is because the wheel is slow and the LCD screen sucks. So, if you can´t see a good image through the LCD how are you supposed to precisely manual focus it, it is impossible to know when it is focused using that LCD(unless you already know that is infinity).

Bad(terrible). As mentioned before the LCD is a problem. The camera can take you to 35x+... but don´t expect to have a good view through the LCD. You need to shot and see in your computer later. Impossible to use the magnification as a scope considering the poor quality of this LCD.

Bad. Another thing to point out, specially for birders is that, since the manual focus don´t work... you will use the AF. And it is slow. So that bird that just dropped by, already flew away... when you got the focus right. Also, forget in-flight shots(unless the bird is doing that against-the-wind static stance). So, for birding I would think twice before recommending this camera, cause its performance at fast moving target is not great.

Good. About the zoom. It is really amazing... far beyond human eyes. The only thing to worry here is that the more you zoom the less aperture option you get... and this affect the shutter speed correction. So... don´t expect to do much things with the zoom in low light. Also the camera can´t handle ISO above 400. The noise correction is not good. This camera performance in full light is great, but it suffers a lot at mid-low light.

Good(Outstanding). IS system. Here is where this camera shines. The IS system is unbelievable. I am taking pictures 35x + x2.1(digital) hand held!!! It is just unbelievable.

Bad. Low battery life! Better buy an extra battery.

So to sum up. I like it. Mainly because of the IS system. You really can use full zoom optical handheld, no tripod... as long as you are in full day light. In mid to low light conditions it is more complicated, forget the zoom, and use it like a standard point and shot.

The first 3 pics were took at 35x handheld. I only croped and fixed the contrast(no further edition).

Attachments

• IMG_0588.JPG
    IMG_0588.JPG
    135 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_0402.JPG
    IMG_0402.JPG
    204.5 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_0564.JPG
    IMG_0564.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_0538.JPG
    IMG_0538.JPG
    139.2 KB · Views: 120
Thanks Swifty and Ivan for your sample photographs, and, Ivan, thanks for your comprehensive review - very helpful. RE: low light performance, I don't think there is a superzoom that performs well under those conditions, unfortunately. Interesting to hear about the slow AF - and good to know.
Hobbes

Ivan, it would help to know what you compare to when you call the AF slow. Yes, all superzooms have slow AF compared to most dSLR, but do you have knowledge of other brands of superzoom and can you compare to those?

Niels

Ivan, it would help to know what you compare to when you call the AF slow. Yes, all superzooms have slow AF compared to most dSLR, but do you have knowledge of other brands of superzoom and can you compare to those?

Niels

No. Actually I never tested any other superzoom. Here I went to the one that I trusted the IS the most... canon. Because the samples I saw from the others superzoom were all tripoded or shaken.

And I wanted to use it handheld.

But about the AF... it is slow enough to make in-flight shots a pain at 35x.

The problem here, is that at least for in-flight shots... you will have a better result taking pics at mid zoom(say a 10x) and croping it later.... instead of using the fullzoom.
It takes almost 1.5 seconds to the auto focus... at the end of the day I was locking the focus and waiting for the bird to fly at the correct range(go figure...).
Also the continual focusing system is even slower, so you need to keep hitting the shutter half-way stage (for re-focus) every time... and it is very hard to follow a flying bird while you control the zoom and need to keep hitting the half-way shutter all the time for re-focus.
(Consider here also that, against the sky, the continual focus of the camera will drop to infinity...and to bring it back to the bird you need to do that point + hitting the shutter half-way thing, what crumbles the entire stability of your shot)

Maybe I was just asking too much to expect crisp 35x at flying birds.
Don´t get me wrong, it is an excellent camera, just a bit frustrating because of the focus wheel and the LCD.

Here are some samples. As you can see the in-flight shot are not good... but when I took pics at static birds(target) on the ground it becomes quite sharp.(Everything at 35x)

Attachments

• IMG_0487.JPG
    IMG_0487.JPG
    154.5 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_0503.JPG
    IMG_0503.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0505.JPG
    IMG_0505.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0506.JPG
    IMG_0506.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_0553.JPG
    IMG_0553.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
The Sony HX100V looks like it is going to be the best superzoom in terms of IQ, excellent video, and quick AF.
Sean

I have a problem in that I like all Sony TVs and their other electronics but am not sold on their cameras.

Perhaps the moving target issue with the Canon can be addressed by using the sports or tracking mode or utilising the burst function?

Last edited:
The Canon has notoriously slow AF, especially in low light, and the shots above base ISO are very noisy, if that sort of thing bothers you. I would give the HX100V a serious look.
Sean

Great photos, Ivan. Those are pretty good results for a superzoom, IMHO.

Thanks for your posts Sean. I've checked out the user chats/photos on the Sony Talk Forum on dpreview and it does look promising. I had resolved to stick with my current superzoom but will definitely keep an eye on the HX100V.
Hobbes

I have a problem in that I like all Sony TVs and their other electronics but am not sold on their cameras.

Perhaps the moving target issue with the Canon can be addressed by using the sports or tracking mode or utilising the burst function?

That could be a reasonable solution for moving target at 35x... but again no. cause Canon made it in a way that the continual burst speed is the slowest thing ever.

Look at this chart:

http://thenewcamera.com/?p=3665

0.6 per sec...

I still think I made a good choice going with the Canon. But it has its problems... and the LCD and the focus thing are probably its 2 biggest problems.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back