• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binocular Prescription Lenses (1 Viewer)

elkcub

Silicon Valley, California
United States
I've always wondered why prescription lenses can't be placed directly behind the binoculars' eyepieces, thereby avoiding the need to wear glasses in the field (for some at least) and facilitating the use of winged eyecups. With Swarovski's removable eyecups this would seem to be rather easy to accomplish for those who want it. So what am I missing? With all the money spent on high-end optics, a few more dollars shouldn't break the bank.

Elkcub

elkcub said:
I've always wondered why prescription lenses can't be placed directly behind the binoculars' eyepieces, thereby avoiding the need to wear glasses in the field (for some at least) and facilitating the use of winged eyecups. With Swarovski's removable eyecups this would seem to be rather easy to accomplish for those who want it. So what am I missing? With all the money spent on high-end optics, a few more dollars shouldn't break the bank.

Elkcub

But if you're not wearing your glasses, you will not be able to see things to look at unless you walk around with your bins cellotaped to your head!! :eat:

paj

paj said:
But if you're not wearing your glasses, you will not be able to see things to look at unless you walk around with your bins cellotaped to your head!! :eat:

paj

Yep, that sums-up the problem I see with this idea too. Without my glasses I can't see what I should be pointing the bins at !

Stuart

It's really not as silly as all that. Note that I carefully inserted "(for some at least)," suggesting that far sighted people can get along rather well without specs anyway. I'm one of them. Often the biggest problem is moderate astimatism correction. Furthermore, if I had to wear specs I'd rather take them off to look at a located bird with binoculars having my own prescription. This would be for several reasons:

1. Eyeglasses are often tinted, or even graded to darken in sunlight. This changes the color balance that may birders are concerned with. Where did the brightness and naturalness go that you paid $1500 to get?
2. Eyeglasses, like mine, are trifocals. This makes it somewhat difficult to align the exit pupil with the eye pupil depending on the size of the glasses and where the cut lines are located.
3. Eyeglasses rest on the nose, and vary in distance to the eye. Hence, a full FOV is often difficult to obtain, or one is forced to select from a limited set of binoculars with adequate eye relief. Prescription binocs would eliminate that and put everyone on the same footing, ... er, eyeing?
4. Eyeglasses allow more side-light to enter the eye and eyepiece, which is difficult to shield. The use of winged eyecups has limited utility at best.
5. Finally, pushing binoculars against eyeglasses is one of the more painful if not masochistic experiences a person with a long nose can experience. Ouch!

That's more than enough for me even if I were functionally blind without specs. Ah, which leads me to a final final point. Prescription binoculars probably would allow more elders with macular degeneration or peripheral vision loss to enjoy birding. :cool:

Elkcub

Last edited:
So, what you envision is a binocular that comes from the factory with provisions for mounting the prescription lenses, and them have those lenses mounted by an oculist/optician. I think that it's a great idea.
I guess that a center selling the binos, and having the variety of lenses that could be fitted, and fitting them, could work.

elkcub said:
It's really not as silly as all that. Note that I carefully inserted "(for some at least)," suggesting that far sighted people can get along rather well without specs anyway. I'm one of them. Often the biggest problem is moderate astimatism correction. Furthermore, if I had to wear specs I'd rather take them off to look at a located bird with binoculars having my own prescription. This would be for several reasons:

1. Eyeglasses are often tinted, or even graded to darken in sunlight. This changes the color balance that may birders are concerned with. Where did the brightness and naturalness go that you paid $1500 to get?
2. Eyeglasses, like mine, are trifocals. This makes it somewhat difficult to align the exit pupil with the eye pupil depending on the size of the glasses and where the cut lines are located.
3. Eyeglasses rest on the nose, and vary in distance to the eye. Hence, a full FOV is often difficult to obtain, or one is forced to select from a limited set of binoculars with adequate eye relief. Prescription binocs would eliminate that and put everyone on the same footing, ... er, eyeing?
4. Eyeglasses allow more side-light to enter the eye and eyepiece, which is difficult to shield. The use of winged eyecups has limited utility at best.
5. Finally, pushing binoculars against eyeglasses is one of the more painful if not masochistic experiences a person with a long nose can experience. Ouch!

That's more than enough for me even if I were functionally blind without specs. Ah, which leads me to a final final point. Prescription binoculars probably would allow more elders with macular degeneration or peripheral vision loss to enjoy birding. :cool:

Elkcub

Yes, just having a laugh Elkcub.
Of course it would suit some people to have prescription lenses in their bins, but not for us short-sights.

Just one comment on tinted lenses...I have a pair of prescription glasses with polarising lenses (permanent tint of course) and I find them superb for using with my bins in sunny conditions.
They cut out huge amounts of glare and enable you to see colours that would normally be burnt out. A good example would be watching House Martins flying high in a bright sky...the white rump sticks out like a sore thumb.

paj :cool:

Last edited:
When sitting/standing in one spot and surveying an area for birds I often take off my glasses to use my bins but my Astigmatism is a bit of a problem. I would love a corrected pair of bins. What about a pair of glasses/goggles with a small amout of magnification ( two or three times ) so that when you are sitting in a hide you can scan the scene without having to hold bins up for long periods?

Neil said:
When sitting/standing in one spot and surveying an area for birds I often take off my glasses to use my bins but my Astigmatism is a bit of a problem. I would love a corrected pair of bins. What about a pair of glasses/goggles with a small amout of magnification ( two or three times ) so that when you are sitting in a hide you can scan the scene without having to hold bins up for long periods?

Here I go again!

Considering replacing my eyes with a pair of 'Terminator' eyes with built in zoom and database of all the birds of the world to make ID easier.

paj :eat:

paj said:
Yes, just having a laugh Elkcub.
Of course it would suit some people to have prescription lenses in their bins, but not for us short-sights.

Just one comment on tinted lenses...I have a pair of prescription glasses with polarising lenses (permanent tint of course) and I find them superb for using with my bins in sunny conditions.
They cut out huge amounts of glare and enable you to see colours that would normally be burnt out. A good example would be watching House Martins flying high in a bright sky...the white rump sticks out like a sore thumb.

paj

But Paj, don't feel left out. If you had prescription binoculars you would only have to take off your bottle-bottoms (sorry, I couldn't resist) to get a really nice view. Your personal correction would be in the binoculars, no? Or am I shortsighted?

Which leads me to a (final)^3 point. (Thank you so much for helping with this.) Polaroid or other filter materials could be incorporated as well, ... even for those not needing optical corrections. Yes! Think of the BF threads that would spawn related to the need for a "universal system," and the competition it would spark among the (high)^(inf) end manufacturers as they strategize to obsolete yesterday's old technology. We have to stand (er, visualize) together on this or it just won't work. :'D

-elk

paj said:
Here I go again!

Considering replacing my eyes with a pair of 'Terminator' eyes with built in zoom and database of all the birds of the world to make ID easier.

paj :eat:

Now you're getting the idea!

-elk

Otto McDiesel said:
So, what you envision is a binocular that comes from the factory with provisions for mounting the prescription lenses, and them have those lenses mounted by an oculist/optician. I think that it's a great idea.
I guess that a center selling the binos, and having the variety of lenses that could be fitted, and fitting them, could work.

Otto,

Sorry, I missed your post. Yes, that's what I envision. Current Swarovski products come very close to that capability, it seems to me, with their removable eyecups. A prescription lens could be placed on top of the eyepiece and the rubber on the winged or regular eyecups should hold it in place. There must be something I'm missing since it seems too simple.

-elk
PS. Red = right side lens to distinguish it.

Last edited:
elkcub said:
A prescription lens could be placed on top of the eyepiece and the rubber on the winged or regular eyecups should hold it in place. There must be something I'm missing since it seems too simple.-elk

The would have to be a waterproof set-up, or you may end up with a foggy view just like now when conditions are a bit damp.

Swissboy said:
The would have to be a waterproof set-up, or you may end up with a foggy view just like now when conditions are a bit damp.

Swissboy,

Looking at the Swaro winged eyecups, there is a rubber lip that would hold the prescription lens in place and provide somewhat of a seal. The prescription lens could have a thin rubber or plastic rim that made a tight seal. Or, it could be made of plastic like contact lenses. Still, if water came in he back it could get between the lens and eyepiece, but I don't use binocs under those conditions. One would have to experiment with fogging, but this arrangement should be better than trying to view through eyeglasses, which are exposed and also subject to fogging.

-elkcub

Well, a few quick findings:

Opticians and their labs don't seem to make prescription lenses this small (about 2.5 cm), because eyeglasses are not this small. One lab did say that several people have asked the same question, so it's not a new idea for sure.

The radius of curvature of my lenses might require more room than is available with the current Swaro design. So reengineering might be needed to allow for a new lens or filter. :(

-elk

Tidal Flat said:
What about wearing contact lenses? Is this an option, or have I completely missed the point?

Mike

Hi Mike,

I don't think you have. That should work; but contact lenses seem to be for younger and better lubricated eyes than mine. They have their own problems, but (probably) would be fine for those who can adjust to them. Eyeglasses are still the most common visual prosthesis for those who have enough $$$ to afford hi-end optics.

When the first manufacturer comes up with this option, all the others will follow, — and current binocs will be discussed as "obsolete" on BF. ;)

-elkcub
PS. Think of this as a contact lens for the binoculars.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back