• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

''The Blob'' (1 Viewer)

KenM

This ''creature'' was found by my grandsons last week on Fuerteventura, just below the waterline (circa head height for depth).....It was their name, and I'm afraid I can't do any better, It was circa 25cm long...any Ideas?

Cheers

Attachments

• P1130413 (2) A sea creature sp. no.2..jpg
    P1130413 (2) A sea creature sp. no.2..jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 101
Sea hares are not nudibranches, and nudibranches are not sea hares. They both are sea slugs, but they are different animals. One of the differences, for example, is that sea hares could release ink just as an octopus does to defend themselves. Nudibranches have no ink.

Both sea hares and nudibranches are very common (read, for example this article http://www.grindtv.com/wildlife/gia...lugs-create-quite-a-stir/#ZmOH48tHblUhSZv6.97), and will not run away from you in the most situations. I see many nudibrances practically every time I go to California tide-pools and most of time while snorkeling. I observed and photographed them mating, laying eggs, and feeding, and one has never run away from me. Of course many of them are very, very small, some are nocturnal and would hide during day time, and some are camouflaged. That's why they could be hard to spot, but if you do notice one, it would probably ignore you and mind its own business.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back