• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kingfisher in Cookstown (Antrim) area (1 Viewer)

Aberrator

Hi!
Does anybody know good location for watching (or photographing) these beautifull birds? I found information boards close to Limavady, there is a valley called Roe Valley - it says there foraging there but never seen them.

Any suggestions warmly welcome:eat:!

Thanks

Hi!
Does anybody know good location for watching (or photographing) these beautifull birds? I found information boards close to Limavady, there is a valley called Roe Valley - it says there foraging there but never seen them.

Any suggestions warmly welcome:eat:!

Thanks

Can't help you on locations mate but just be careful this time of the year. Kingfishers are nesting and beginning to breed so it's illegal to disturb or photograph them near the nest as they are a schedule 1 protected species.

I was granted a license to continue my kingfisher photography but since it arrived I haven't got a single photograph!
Going back to my favourite spot on Saturday so hoping to get some shots.

Paul

Welcome to BF Aberrator.

I would echo what Paul has said on the subject of Kingfishers - particularly this time of year.
Paul, just to give you a heads up. In the last few days (from Friday evening) I have spotted the fishers' on two ocassions.

I was taking (trying more like) snaps of Grey wagtails down at Monneypennys when on of them flew past me on the canal. Then on Sunday evening I spotted it again this time perched on a branch a little on down the towpath (Cusher) on the Newry side of the Knock Bridge.
In addition I am familiar with two ladies that walk the towpath early in the morning and they have reported sightings in the same area.

Cheers

I was taking (trying more like) snaps of Grey wagtails down at Monneypennys when on of them flew past me on the canal. Then on Sunday evening I spotted it again this time perched on a branch a little on down the towpath (Cusher) on the Newry side of the Knock Bridge.

Cheers

That's not far from where my wee spot is so hopefully I'll get some luck on Saturday morning. I put up a new perch in the pond so hopefully thay are using it so I can get some close-up dive shots.

Paul

Kingfishers not seen at all so far..

I went couple weeks ago towards the area the Kingfisher normally to be spotted, but found just one grey heron waiting for the prey :).
I read a bit about vulnerability of these species, especially during cold winter - this year winter in Northern Ireland area was very cold (the coldest since 1980 probably) so might affect the population of Kingfsiher. Hopefully they will give new birth as many as posiible and give us joy again to watch them.

Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back