• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

60D built in flash for Nightjars? (1 Viewer)

Hi All,
I have a Canon 60D and 300mm f/4L IS USM Lens and was hoping to be able to photograph Nightjars in very low light/dark using the biult in flash. First of all, would it be possible? And if so, what settings should I use? I haven't had this equipment very long and am still coming to grips with it. Please forgive my ignorance. Thank you.

Mick.

Depends primarily on the distance to the birds. Likely the built in flash will have a somewhat limited range for the intended purpose and not getting you to far. I would consider a cheap 3rd party flash (or better one if budget permits) with iTTL capability and a Better Beamer Flash Extender for more reach.

Set the camera in manual to the fastest sync speed (1/125s or 1/250s?), aperture wide open, ISO as high as you are comfortable with and use the flash in iTTL mode. If it is dark enough shutter speed is secondary as the short flash duration will freeze movement Try a few shoots in comparable light conditions to see what range you can cover. If required you can dial in flash compensation (not to be mixed up with exposure compensation settings -you are shooting manual!) to boost or attenuate the TTL determined and controlled flash output (your manual will tell you how).

Focussing will be a big challenge as AF will have a hard time to catch the target and MF will also suffer from limited visibility.

I would also give ethics a fair bit of consideration. Shooting a bright flash at dusk at dark adapted birds that rely on vison for orientation, I wouldn't do it.

Ulli

When I've taken pictures of Nightjar's, I've put the camera on an automatic mode (which I'd never usually use) and have got some OK results. I'd never use flash photography for wildlife and would think you'd get the same response from most people

The guide number for the flash is 13m at 100 ISO, so with the lens at f/4 the flash range should, in theory, be up to around 3m at 100 ISO. 400 ISO would double that range to 6m and 1600 ISO would double it again to 12m. That's the theory. The practice might deliver slightly less range, because GNs are (I think) quoted for an environment which returns some light and is not lost forever into wide open spaces.

A simple test in the back garden would soon establish the capabilities of the gear.

Other than that, seaspirit seems to have covered it well.

Thank you for your advice and comments, Ulli,Keren and Tim, much appreciated. I don't think I'll bother the Nightjars with a "flash" after all, it may do them harm and I wouldn't want that. Your technical advice will be taken on board and used for subjects less attuned to the dark, many thanks all.
Mick.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back