• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Product Introduction Today From Swarovski ? (2 Viewers)

I suppose the forehead rest provides a golden opportunity for birder nerds to punk their 'friends' !

I can just see it where Mr/Mrs/Miss dedicated Swaro owner puts their bins down for a few minutes to be watched over by their 'friends' - who then proceed to write 'Zeiss' or 'Leica' or 'Nikon' or something in permanent black marker on the contact surface of the rest. The first time unsuspecting Mr/Mrs/Miss puts binoculars and rest to forehead - they are indelibly 'branded' for the rest of the day !

Imagine their surprise when they get home and look in a mirror to see what everyone has been sniggerring about all day !! :-O 3:)

Chosun :gh:
I struggle to write in a forwards direction.

LGM

One thing that struck me:

My FB has been flooded by people that obviously got their Swaro for free (on loan or permanent) and are now bragging about the binoculars and the fact they have them.

Many of the comments are by equally privileged 'influencers' and together they create a huge marketing bubble that I have never experienced before in the community of birdwatchers (influencers masqueraded as birdwatchers, it sometimes seems).

So while they must be the best binoculars out there in every aspect (FOV, warranty and obviously price), I feel it's way over the top, the 'enthusiasm' applied in the sponsored messages.

Thanks for the clarification... didn’t think this was a few months response to the new Zeiss. He ought to have mentioned “many years”. Of course there would be many trials and mockups of different parts to judge the trade offs and gauge responses, before committing to a final version. Given the customer base, the design has high standards to meet, which it looks like you’ve hit. Wider and still sharp and not too heavy.... all good. I think the presenters deserve congratulations, not something they have to do normally!

Peter

The NL Pure was a very long time in the making and what Wolfgang was trying to express was that it is almost impossible to designate a point in time where we started as most of our projects have a longer germination phase. For example, the first design sketch ideas including dropping the front bridge and moving the focusing wheel were made in November / Dember 2009. But major ergonomics workshops - including intensive input from physiotherapy and osteopathy - only started in 2014.

Trying to present live to camera without an interacting audience and in a foreign language is incredibly difficult.

My FB has been flooded by people that obviously got their Swaro for free (on loan or permanent) and are now bragging about the binoculars and the fact they have them.

Good thing I'm not on FB.

Many of the comments are by equally privileged 'influencers' and together they create a huge marketing bubble that I have never experienced before in the community of birdwatchers (influencers masqueraded as birdwatchers, it sometimes seems).

So while they must be the best binoculars out there in every aspect (FOV, warranty and obviously price), I feel it's way over the top, the 'enthusiasm' applied in the sponsored messages.

That type of advertising makes me pretty suspicious of the product itself.

Anyway, I'm not going to buy the NL, no matter how good it is. It's too heavy for my liking, and it has the same stupid "Field Pro" lugs as the SV. That is a no-go for me.

Hermann

Last edited:

Anyway, I'm not going to buy the NL anyway, no matter how good it is. It's too heavy for my liking, and it has the same stupid "Field Pro" lugs as the SV. That is a no-go for me.

Hermann

My observation about the marketing doesn't want to suggest anything about the quality of the product, so in my opinion, the product will be as good as anything coming from Swarovski, no doubt about that.

It just struck me and at the one hand, I must admit I am sensitive towards this kind of advertisement in a way that I am actually less likely to like the product advertised, but at the other hand, I must say their marketing machine is impressive. They are executing the launch very well, and they determine the opinion by spreading the word through (some well respected) influencers / birdwatchers.

This is strikingly different from e.g. Leica and Zeiss: those companies only have a small number of people endorsing their products, and when a new model is launched, their is more rumour than official talk about it, creating a strange and very different buzz than the one created now by Swarovski.

Skimmed the comments quick--apologies if it has been addressed already. Any idea if/how the forehead thingy allows adjustment of IPD? The legs seem to be fixed, and there doesn't appear to be a slot in either hinge to allow one peg to slide. Only thing I can figure is one or both of the pegs is actually mounted to a wheel off-axis and it spins a bit.

Also haven't seen many undercarriage shots, but the studs that slide into the hinge seem to have a detent channel, so are the binos drilled underneath and capped with a bearing and spring? It looks goofy, but I'd totally get on board, and am pretty curious about retrofitting other models now...

Giving samples to “influencers” is an interesting strategy as actual reviews are what sway people, though it would be good to have independence rather than what look like die-hard Swarovski users/fans. One does question their independence and thus the validity of their review. I am sure in coming weeks we will get the comparative reviews that we all want and thus can see how the small differences between the different models actually pan out in real life in different situations.

Peter

The NL Pure was a very long time in the making and what Wolfgang was trying to express was that it is almost impossible to designate a point in time where we started as most of our projects have a longer germination phase. For example, the first design sketch ideas including dropping the front bridge and moving the focusing wheel were made in November / Dember 2009. But major ergonomics workshops - including intensive input from physiotherapy and osteopathy - only started in 2014.

Trying to present live to camera without an interacting audience and in a foreign language is incredibly difficult.

Thank You very much for this insight, it's really appreciated.

Anyway, I'm not going to buy the NL, no matter how good it is. It's too heavy for my liking, and it has the same stupid "Field Pro" lugs as the SV. That is a no-go for me.

Hermann

Yep I'm not excited about it either for similar reasons.
Another big heavy super expensive bino. I wish Swaro would have
designed something a bit more unique as they've done in the past.
Instead it's a clear response to Zeiss and copies a bit from SF.
But I guess super wide FOV is where it's at these days. I'm sure the optics and its super FOV will be impressive. I'm not sure about the hourglass design. I feel it makes it less attractive, but perhaps ergonomics will be real nice. I will look
forward to initial reviews.

You surely do not have to be a birder to own particular pairs of bins as I have many and most likely with buy a pair of the 12X42 "just because" and thats all thats really required. I am not influenced by anyone and if I decide that is something i want, i buy it. This is no different then the camera people when something new is released like the new Nikon D6 @ Nikon 120-300 ZOOM..

I will have a pair of these as soon as i can find a pair available here in the STATES..

I think by saying the edges 'virtually' disappear (or whatever carefully chosen words Swarovski have used) , means that most people probably won't be aware of them when looking straight ahead. You'd actually have to deliberately focus on them. Of course you'll be able to see them.

Based on the carefully chosen language Swarovski has used, I'm also expecting SV-type clear/sharp to edge views. Just guessing, but I think RB phenomena will be similar too - ie. a non issue for up to and more than ;) ~80% of potential users.

Chosun :gh:

CJ,
Who are you right now? Will the real Chosun pleas stand up?
Where's the criticism of the over the top marketing ? "no edges"??
Another big heavy bin. You're usually as disappointed as I am.
Where's the usual comments about using lighter materials?
Most alarming of all is the copy of SF focus wheel position.
It's practically the same dang thing and you shredded Zeiss for years about it, but barely a peep about this on the NL.
I thought you'd be as disappointed as I am.
You have Dennis so excited he's about to poop his pants.

Very smart of Swaro to keep the EL on the shelves...great move.
NL is really just their answer to SF but I think they had an opportunity to
do something special here.

Dennis,
Don't forget to preorder your crystal forehead thingy and go to Staples
today to pick up your giant envelope. Don't forget to bring snacks and water for your trip...and a bed pan.

Hi Pat (post #213),
Regarding the diopter adjustment, only what's in the manual . . .
John

I watched the video today, the diopter adjustment is not designed to be locked in ("flip flop") / integrated into the focusing wheel. Interesting departure from the EL.

Looks a very interesting binocular, and that forehead rest is so intriguing. I wonder how many will persevere after initially giving it a go, especially in tropical conditions.

And, no IS, no camera. Hurrah from me. Death of the Alpha, not as far as Swarovski are concerned, good luck for being bold and brave.

Last edited:
Is it possible that the head rest is actually the most significant innovation here?

Optimistically, it may be an IS alternative with no batteries and no moving parts.
Even though I've been a total IS convert since 2008, I'm very much looking forward to seeing this in the flesh and field testing it. If the head rest really allows more effective stabilization, it would be a game changer. Presumably Swaro has already patented it, so the idea can't be knocked off by the other alphas.

I have been using a head rest on my bins for years. Just grap an E2, SE or other smallish porro, preferably with slanted shoulders, in the most natural manner and use your index fingers as headrest. Then you'll have three points of contact: your hands, you eye-sockets/glasses and your forehead. Great for stabilizing the view. You can further remove (micro-)vibrations by grabbing the cap of your cap with your ring fingers or pinkies

This also works with small, light roofs that have a focus wheel positioned close to your face. If the focus wheel is positioned too far away from your face you can't use your index fingers as headrest and focus at the same time. If the bins are too heavy the pull of the objective side makes this position less comfortable.

George

Last edited:

Total agreement....on all.... but a nice marketing job, as Swaro has that down pat above all others.

PYRTLE;4026318 that forehead rest is so intriguing. I wonder how many will persevere after initially giving it a go said:
That head rest is not standard equipment and costs €129. Haven't seen a Sterling price yet but a straight conversion of that figure comes to £116.00.

Lee

You surely do not have to be a birder to own particular pairs of bins as I have many and most likely with buy a pair of the 12X42 "just because" and thats all thats really required. I am not influenced by anyone and if I decide that is something i want, i buy it. This is no different then the camera people when something new is released like the new Nikon D6 @ Nikon 120-300 ZOOM..

I will have a pair of these as soon as i can find a pair available here in the STATES..
just wondering before it's gone from my memory, but what bike was that in your avatar? Greetings from another (competitive) cyclist (my current setup is an Argon18 Gallium pro with Campagnolo Bora + Campa record)!

just wondering before it's gone from my memory, but what bike was that in your avatar? Greetings from another (competitive) cyclist (my current setup is an Argon18 Gallium pro with Campagnolo Bora + Campa record)!

Totally old school here. Ciocc and Olmo, Campy Super Record. Steel is real,as they say.;)

We`ve been here before with the SF and NV, then not long after some good sales to forum members here the niggles start to appear.

It reads well and I look forward to trying them.

That forehead rest risks making the user look a total p**t IMHO.

But Torview, all of the cool nerds are doing it.

Just imagine if it cracks and you need to put white tape on it :-O

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back