• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

birding for tourists. London & ?? March/April (1 Viewer)

Fiscalshrike

As anything these days, there is no guarantee of travel, however, perhaps by early Spring this Canadian can utilize a direct flight to London for tourism and some birding. I have only seen a small part of the country one December enroute to Southampton for a cruise, so have lots to consider. I don't want to drive, but willing to head out of London given that it is most likely migration time.
Are there national or local birding groups that might allow visitors on organized bird tours?
Good birding sites in London?
Somewhere logistically feasible as a second location? I read a little something about Slimbridge WWT, but do I need to travel that far?
Thanks for any recommendations or directions of where to look further.

I'm sure that other members from that corner of the UK will be in touch to help, but hopefully here are a few useful starters:

March/April - depending upon the timing of your visit, the number of available species (and therefore choice of sites) will be very variable. Early March is arguably one of the quietest periods of the year, with wintering birds departing, but still some weeks from spring migration kicking off properly; by contrast, late April is one of the most exciting times of the year, with high pressure systems opening the floodgates for migrants coming up from the south, as well as the chance of more unusual European species.

Slimbridge is a long way from London, and I think you may struggle by public transport (possible by 2 trains, one or two buses then a bit of a walk), and there are other reserves closer to London with a higher diversity of species and habitats (Oare in Kent, Minsmere in Suffolk, Lakenheath on the Norfolk/Suffolk border). If you did head over to the west country, feel free to drop me a DM and I'd be happy to show you around the Levels or Forest of Dean.

In London, a good resource is the LNHS website, which contains info on sites, whats about etc. The only sites I am even remotely familiar with are Rainham Marshes and Beddington Sewage works - I'll let locals provide more detail, but both sites hold a surprising number of species.

Another option is to undertake a day trip, and I found this page which may perhaps be of use (religious overtones aside!) and may give you some ideas.

Hopefully this is of use, and good luck with your trip. It will be a relief when a new normal has been established.

I'm sure that other members from that corner of the UK will be in touch to help, but hopefully here are a few useful starters:

March/April - depending upon the timing of your visit, the number of available species (and therefore choice of sites) will be very variable. Early March is arguably one of the quietest periods of the year, with wintering birds departing, but still some weeks from spring migration kicking off properly; by contrast, late April is one of the most exciting times of the year, with high pressure systems opening the floodgates for migrants coming up from the south, as well as the chance of more unusual European species.

Slimbridge is a long way from London, and I think you may struggle by public transport (possible by 2 trains, one or two buses then a bit of a walk), and there are other reserves closer to London with a higher diversity of species and habitats (Oare in Kent, Minsmere in Suffolk, Lakenheath on the Norfolk/Suffolk border). If you did head over to the west country, feel free to drop me a DM and I'd be happy to show you around the Levels or Forest of Dean.

In London, a good resource is the LNHS website, which contains info on sites, whats about etc. The only sites I am even remotely familiar with are Rainham Marshes and Beddington Sewage works - I'll let locals provide more detail, but both sites hold a surprising number of species.

Another option is to undertake a day trip, and I found this page which may perhaps be of use (religious overtones aside!) and may give you some ideas.

Hopefully this is of use, and good luck with your trip. It will be a relief when a new normal has been established.
Thanks for the details. I was thinking to leave as late into March as feasible, to have more time in April, so not peak late April migration, but should have something. I have Africa birds, and some Spain birds, as well as some seen from the National Express bus or around town. I tend to dip on the graylags, or white fronted geese that are vagrants to Ottawa, so even these are novelties. A quick review of the article offers lodgings and logistics, so thank you for that....and the offer of a show around if I get to your turf. Much appreciated.
Given that I work in a covid lab here, I can't imagine what a 'new normal' will look like. Things change almost weekly, so no 'normal' new or old - yet. But, chances are the timing may be about when I retire late 2021, so I will have a lot more flexibility to make whatever is 'the new normal', fit.
Thanks again.

Plenty to add to the list of course, but if in London anyway you probably shouldn't miss the Barnes wetlands centre. Not sure what's happening with tawny owl in Hyde park these days, but mandarin's frequent there

Plenty to add to the list of course, but if in London anyway you probably shouldn't miss the Barnes wetlands centre. Not sure what's happening with tawny owl in Hyde park these days, but mandarin's frequent there
Thanks. I am hoping I can can get onto some bird club day outings and I noticed this location. Just have to figure out how to do it by public transport. Seems to be a train stop in some close proximity.

And don't be fooled - rare waterfowl in city parks in central London are not wild!

Last edited:
And don't be fooled - rare waterfowl in city parks in central London are not wild!

Depends which ones. Mandarins are fairly common throughout London AFAIK: obviously it's a feral population though. Worth keeping an eye out as odd things turn up. For example, the common scoter I saw on the lake at Peckham Rye Common: undoubtedly wild...

Thanks. I am hoping I can can get onto some bird club day outings and I noticed this location. Just have to figure out how to do it by public transport. Seems to be a train stop in some close proximity.

Until recently it was easy: just go to Hammersmith and take a bus. Hammersmith bridge is permanently closed making things more complicated. But if you can get across the bridge (a fairly short walk) there's a bus which goes right there.

In Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens I saw Great Tit, Tufted Duck, Eurasian Moorhen, Great Cormorant, Gray Heron, European Robin, Eurasian Wigeon, Rose-ringed Parakeet, Wood Pigeon, Long-tailed Tit, and some other common birds. Eurasian Jackdaw at Stonehenge, Carion Crow, Coal Tit and Blue Tit at Green Park. Black-headed Gull, Lesser Black-backed Gull and White Wagtail at Tower of London.

You will find British birders to be a friendly and helpful lot and I am sure some will invite you out with them on day trips. Look at BirdingPal and Surfbirders for birders who have put themselves forward for such trips.

Steve

Until recently it was easy: just go to Hammersmith and take a bus. Hammersmith bridge is permanently closed making things more complicated. But if you can get across the bridge (a fairly short walk) there's a bus which goes right there.

Thanks for the directions. I'll check that out.

In Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens I saw Great Tit, Tufted Duck, Eurasian Moorhen, Great Cormorant, Gray Heron, European Robin, Eurasian Wigeon, Rose-ringed Parakeet, Wood Pigeon, Long-tailed Tit, and some other common birds. Eurasian Jackdaw at Stonehenge, Carion Crow, Coal Tit and Blue Tit at Green Park. Black-headed Gull, Lesser Black-backed Gull and White Wagtail at Tower of London.

Thanks for the list. I expect the parks can offer much. I saw so many just from the bus or walking around Southampton. Then there are the winter migrants I picked up in Africa, but good to see them on home turf. Growing up in Victoria BC, we had quail and pheasant wild (introduced, of course). So seeing them truly wild in UK was better.

You will find British birders to be a friendly and helpful lot and I am sure some will invite you out with them on day trips. Look at BirdingPal and Surfbirders for birders who have put themselves forward for such trips.

Steve
Thanks Steve. It also looks like visitors can join tours from the London society and RSPB branches - if things ever start up again. I will also check BirdingPal and Surfbirders as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back