• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

DSLR power saving tips. (1 Viewer)

StuartReeves

Local rarity
I’ll be trekking in India for the first three weeks of August and I’ll be taking my Nikon D70 along for the ride, albeit for souvenir shots more than serious photography. However, for much of the time I will be a long way from the nearest mains electricity. Now my D70 has good battery life, and I am intending to take a couple of spare batteries with me, but I’m wondering if there are ways to save on power use and prolong the battery life. For instance, would turning off the image preview save much power? Or using manual focus as much as possible maybe? Any tips gratefully received.

Cheers,

Stuart

Might be worth running some searches on Google to find a solar charger that you can use. I doubt you'd be short of solar energy to use! Could be easier than changing camera settings.

Enjoy the trip.

The solar charger idea is an interesting one. Google led me to a portable one that costs about the same as a camera battery so if it has the right connecter I'll certainly go for that option.

Jos, I'll be under canvas most of the time, and I don't think there's many tents with mains electricty yet...

Yup, using the LCD is a real electron muncher. Another thing that increases power consumption is use of a VR lens. So, if you've got one of them I'd recommend not keeping your finger on the shutter for too long.

Jos, I'll be under canvas most of the time, and I don't think there's many tents with mains electricty yet...

When you're trekking past a tea shop, stop in for a long tea and apple pie, it is the Himalaya after all, and ask to plug in your charger - they don't usually object and that half hour of charge will keep you going til the next tea stop ;)

Turn off autopreview.

AF in standard and not continuous mode (not good for birds in flight).

Some cams have low power LCD mode.

Consider setting auto-power off time to be lower.

Never, ever leave without a backup battery anyway!

Don't trust the batt meter. After more than like half rated shots per charge, recharge anyway if at end of day.

Limit use of flash.

Use card reader for moving images from card to computer, rather than camera itself.

BTW, never found AF to have an appreciable impact on batt life.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back