• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

warbler form Jeddah (1 Viewer)

ammadoux

Registered doux
found this shot form 11 November 2016.

a bit late for Willow warbler and don't look like chiffchaff.

Attachments

• DSC_2173a.jpg
    DSC_2173a.jpg
    300.8 KB · Views: 242
It appears to have a broken eye-ring and emarginations on 3,4,5,6, also not much of a grey contrast to the mantle?

just saying...

I know what you want to say Ken... also to me it looks more like a Chiffchaff. The underside is not pure white, the mantle olive...

Don't be confused, Jean Francois is correct.

EBW, though a pic with a yellow cast - slightly corrected attached.

B

Attachments

• ebw bf.jpg
    ebw bf.jpg
    336.4 KB · Views: 157
Yes...Phylloscs. can be confusing......

Attachments

• P1960677.jpeg.Phyllosc..jpeg
    P1960677.jpeg.Phyllosc..jpeg
    157.7 KB · Views: 91
Don't be confused, Jean Francois is correct.

EBW, though a pic with a yellow cast - slightly corrected attached.

B

Thanks Brian! Looking more carefully again I realised that also EBW like Willow Warbler has an uneven primary spacing which Chiffchaff has not. Wasn't aware of that...

Ok - i got the juvenile bit wrong;)

I know it’s not very scientific but it’s just a personal thing - i often look at these pics on the ID Q and A on my iPad at the size the bird would be in the field, OK it only works with passerines, and place it 8 or 10 metres away and look at it thru a pair of 8x42 bins as if i was looking at it in the field - i find that helps with species i have seen abroad but not for a while. It’s just a personal thing but sometimes you don’t get the jizz of a bird from the image being 12-15” away. It probably helps if you are are a ringer or illustrator but i’m not:t:

Laurie -

thanks a million everyone, i am so glad i found this nice shot, as most of the other records i got for it were bad shots. its a rarity here in western Arabia.

Hello ammadoux,

Thank you very much for sharing a such interesting topic with interesting bird, I hope you allow me and give me space for my opinion from my view..

This species of chiffchaff - Bonelli's - is very difficult to determine kind so easily, it is a combination of willow warbler with the commonwarbler - Especially that it is a vagrant bird on the Arab region - but from its signs that separate the doubt from the certainty is the strong yellow rump, and unfortunate it can't racognize from this only availble photo, because i see the shade cover the rump's area.. Also you can notic in Bonelli's the differant clear whitish belly as it is in the other chiffchafs..
If there is another photos from other angles it will be much better so it can identify in specific way more.
I hope I added a little something on this subject to helping in identify this specie!

Thanks to you

Kabamaru / Moscow

Welcome to birdforum, Kabamaru!

I'm I right to assume that you used google translate for your post. I find it difficult to be sure what you mean. Are you in agreement with the determination a Bonelli's or are you questioning it?

Hi Mr. Roland,

Thank you for the welcome, I really apologize for my weak Eng language writing, I did not use google but yes, my writing in English is poor, I am sorry again for that.

About the bird.. I can't tell 100% for if it is Bonelli's because of the lack of clarity of the image, and lack of some of the main signs, I have been mentioned ones or 2, the rump - Bonelli's has strong yellow rump - and also should have the bright white belly.
So i was asked if there is more photos for the same bird from other angles and directions, so it can be easier for identify the bird or be more close to know!

Thanks to you, and for all

Kabamaru / Moscow

Sorry that I suspected you to use google translate No your English isn't weak! Let me call it a bit unusual ;)

It has been shown often here on BF that photos can be very misleading especially when it comes to colours. One should keep that in mind - not that I always do that |8(|... with Brian's help the picture was colour-corrected and so the bird looked much more like a Bonelli's to me. Moreover it can be seen that the spacing of the primaries is uneven and the primary projection rather short. This makes it a Bonelli's.

Chiffchaff IMO:
- green cast to the coverts (still showing after the colour balance was tweaked)
- lack of obvious whiteish fringes to the coverts and tertials
- broken eye-ring as Ken said
- extensive dark smudge to the lores possible in EBW but still...
- dirty underparts with a touch of yellow still visible to the undertail coverts even with the new image.
- the distance between the tip of P1 and the emargination of P3 is probably too short for an EBW.
- primary projection is on the short side for Bonelli’s too.

Chiffchaff IMO:
- green cast to the coverts (still showing after the colour balance was tweaked)
- lack of obvious whiteish fringes to the coverts and tertials
- broken eye-ring as Ken said
- extensive dark smudge to the lores possible in EBW but still...
- dirty underparts with a touch of yellow still visible to the undertail coverts even with the new image.
- the distance between the tip of P1 and the emargination of P3 is probably too short for an EBW.
- primary projection is on the short side for Bonelli’s too.

Have you ever seen a Chiffchaff with uneven primary spacing? It's a strange lighting though I give you that...

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back