• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leupold Mojave (1 Viewer)

Tero

Retired
United States
This is the newest Leupold I have tried. I think it is mostly a marketing trick, to make the open frame binoculars in this price range.

A quick look showed a nice binocular. Certainly in the same class as 300-500 dollar pairs out there.

http://www.eagleoptics.com/index.asp?pid=5256

as usual for Leupold, 10x is a bit narrow in fov
http://www.eagleoptics.com/index.asp?pid=5255

If I ever get a Leupold, it might be the 8x30 Yosemite. But I am into the small end these days and roof prisms are more compact.

Another to consider in the open-frame design is the new Cabelas Alpha Extremes. 390 foot field of view in the 8x42 model and 340 foot field of view in the 10x42. Price is in the low $200s. I looked through them twice so far and almost bought a pair. They are quite nice optically and ergonomically.

Never could see what the big deal was about open frame roofs. I had the opportunity to compare a Swaro 8.5 x 42 EL with a Swift 8.5 x 44 HHS for about 15 minutes or so a year ago. I preferred the way the Swift felt in my hands. More comfortable and better balanced. I have pretty big hands too. I really didn't know what to do with my fingers in that gap in the EL.
Bob

Never could see what the big deal was about open frame roofs. I had the opportunity to compare a Swaro 8.5 x 42 EL with a Swift 8.5 x 44 HHS for about 15 minutes or so a year ago. I preferred the way the Swift felt in my hands. More comfortable and better balanced. I have pretty big hands too. I really didn't know what to do with my fingers in that gap in the EL.
Bob

And here I thought I was the only person in the world who doesn't care for open bridge ergonomics. I tried the swaros and although the glass is very fine I found them quite tiring to hold. I need the bridge there to stabilize my grip and give me purchase to adjust IPD. One of the reasons I decided not to hold out for the new Nikons, though I expect they will have knockout optics.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back