• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zen Ray on the way (1 Viewer)

Steve C

After I sent an inquiry to Zen Ray about their company, I got an e-mail from their president. He said that they had been pointed to Bird forum by several customers and other inquires. He then asked me if I was Steve C. So I owned up to it.

At any rate there are one each ZEN 8x43 and 10x43 on their way to me for review. They are supposed to be here by 1/15. Following that by the end of the month there will be one each 8x42 and 10x42 of their new Summit model. The ZEN looks like a Hawke clone and the Summit looks a lot like a Vortex Viper. So when I get them, reviews will be posted.

I did ask if they (the company) were Chinese, he said no, they were an Oregon based company who speced out binoculars form wherever. And yes I did ask him about the name and told him it sounded like an alien space weapon or an illegal tanning parlor. I said I didn't want to give offence, just curious about the name. He didn't take offense, obviously, but I still don't know about the root of the name.

We expect a completely unbiased review, eh Steve?

If it works out, we can use the Zen Ray to zap all fundamentalist whackos and convert them into peace loving Buddhists!

Can THIS be the dawning of Aquarius? ;)

sorry

Last edited:
We expect a completely unbiased review, eh Steve?

If it works out, we can use the Zen Ray to zap all fundamentalist whackos and convert them into peace loving Buddhists!

Can THIS is the dawning of Aquarius? ;)

sorry

Now how do I do one of those big fat smilies on here?

That one made me laugh Kevin.

Steve,

I look forward to hearing your comments. This may be one I have to take a look at as well.

Your comments about the name issue have me curious now as well. Maybe the original owners of the company combined their names? Yeah, I know. Zen isn't a first name I have heard much either but it was all I could think of.

Hmm, this would be a good time for Kevin P. or Tero to pull out wikipedia with a reference to the history of the Zen-Ray company....

;)

Kevin

He asked for and will recieve as unbiased a review as I can give him. |:D| I hope the Zen Ray doesn't jump out of the box and zap me. I'll see if I can get the etymology of the name. If the darned ray works, I'll buy two.

Hmm, this would be a good time for Kevin P. or Tero to pull out wikipedia with a reference to the history of the Zen-Ray company....

My money is on inverse ray guns ...

But here is a wikipedia link ... that may or may not have anything to do with the name!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shunkō-in

Though you might be able to use this with the bins

http://www.zenraywellness.com/

Thoug one thing I've noticed is I can't keep the bin names straight in my head: the Zen-Ray Zen ED and the Zen-Ray Summit. Too many Zens.

Rather like the "Minox Moment" when someone mentions a Minox bin and you have to think which one it is (is that the top end one? Or the entry level one? Is it current? They all start with B!).

Last edited:
Steve, I really appreciate that you agree to take the time reviewing some of our products.

As for the name, we picked it mainly for its uniqueness with "Ray" implying a light path through the optical system (like Blu-Ray implying a blue wavelength solid state laser). Steve, don't worry, our Ray is gentle enough that it won't zap ;) Although Zen has its buddhism origin, it does not bear any particular meaning within the context of this particular phrase. I hope this answers your questions. As for the product, I don't think it is appropriate for me to comment here. I will leave it up to Steve and I really look forward to it.

Kevin P., thank you for your feedback. That's exactly why we renamed Zen-Ray SUMMIT as ZRS.

Thank you!

Zen-Ray Optics

I am looking forward to your binoculars. I had, even before reading this post decided that I had probably chided the company name enough. I am glad you did not take offence, because I certainly meant none. As was posted on another thread there are lots of names that somebody can view as silly, so no matter what...well you get the idea. ;)

For everyone's further edification, I have nothing to gain from this. This is an "it's just one of those things" instances where I have been fortunate enough to find a place get some binoculars to review. When I'm done what I post will be what I think about the binoculars. The good the bad and the ugly as it were. I just get my "binohuloic's fix".

Good for Zen-Ray and thanks Steve.

Looks like the ED's are not available for sale? If the ZRS are like Vipers the price is good.

Dave

Zen-Ray - Tried emailing about a set of 8x42 ZRS but system is down or something.

Can you contact me via PM. I was wondering about ordering a set over the phone.

Dave

Zen data and pics at
http://www.zen-ray.com/
The Vista 8x42 seems to be challenging the Diamondbacks.
The 80mm scope looks like a good beginner scope. Hmm, do I need a scope? I need to sell one first.
price $185.99

Last edited:
I just get my "binohuloic's fix".

I love the sound of that. It is difficult not to get the fix once you start. ;)

...and I love how everyone is getting hooked on these Zen-Ray binoculars. I look forward to handling one myself.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back