• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk Butterflies and Moths (5 Viewers)

The valesina was seen today- but not by me. Nonetheless, I would have said that the total of Silver-washed was pushing twenty, this early in the season. Moreover, the White Admirals were probably nearer to thirty. These numbers bode well for the rest of the summer.

What I thought was a Convulvulus Hawkmoth was flushed into the gorse, on the Lowes just south of the CP fence. The species was, however, Dark Arches- corrected by a couple of experienced mothers.

Attachments

• 197pse_edited-1.jpg
    197pse_edited-1.jpg
    374.7 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Thank you for the correction, James.

To a novice mother like me, it resembled the 'Hawk'. Looking at the image again, I can see that it was those zig-zags wot fooled me.

It is just not fair that one creature should resemble another: it makes 'nature study' so difficult !

I will go back and edit my previous post, whilst not making any darkly arched comments.

Last edited:
Several of us saw the valesina at Holt CP today- mainly high up. She had been seen by one of the rangers earlier, being carried off by a male (she was ‘hanging’ underneath him), in apparent imitation of the Roc, from Sinbad the Sailor.

A Rosy Footman was a good find at Stonepit.

Attachments

• 048pse3.jpg
    048pse3.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 59
Several purple hairstreaks emerging today at Swanton Novers , good numbers of silver washed fritillary and white admirals about today plus sm torts , red admirals , good numbers of commas, a very late\early male brimstone , ringlets meadow browns , speckled wood , large and green v whites. Lots of 5 spot burnets necturing on thistles and one narrow boardered 5 spot burnet , the first for six years when they used to be quite common.

Massive catches in the moth trap including a Lyme grass ( uncommon away from the coast ) first light brocade for the site, eyed , popular, elephant hawkmoth and 5 species of footman including lots of rosy's. Alltogeather 300 moths of 80 species in 3 small actinic traps.

Last edited:
Dark Greens flourish

The caterpillars of DGF feed on Common Dog-violet so I don't think the lose of some Ragwort will matter to much.

You were correct, Señor Roberto. Despite the almost complete loss of the main Ragwort clump, there seem to be more single plants scattered throughout the dune system.

Today, I was in the company of two of the UK's foremost butterfliers. With the limitations of the number of digits I possess, I relinquished the count to another so much more experienced in these matters.

He had over 60 between the boardwalk and the W end of the pines at Holkham.

Attachments

• 028pse.jpg
    028pse.jpg
    331.3 KB · Views: 104
  • 044pse2.jpg
    044pse2.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 93
A few of the moths I've had in the garden over the past few weeks: a female Ghost, Common Footman (showing the v-shape of grey onto the neck, the main feature that separates Common from Scarce), Phoenix, True Lovers Knot and July Highflyer.

Attachments

• Ghost.jpg
    Ghost.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 50
  • Common Footman.jpg
    Common Footman.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 58
  • Phoenix.jpg
    Phoenix.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 53
  • True Lovers Knot.jpg
    True Lovers Knot.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 56
  • July Highflyer.jpg
    July Highflyer.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 50
And a few more: Brimstone, Swallow-tailed and Herald, plus Notch-wing Button - a micro recorded in 45% of 10k squares in Norfolk, making it the least widespread of the moths I've had so far. Also, Lilac Beauty.

Attachments

• Brimstone Moth.jpg
    Brimstone Moth.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 52
  • Swallow-tailed Moth.jpg
    Swallow-tailed Moth.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 51
  • Herald.jpg
    Herald.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 48
  • Notch-winged Button.jpg
    Notch-winged Button.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 50
  • Lilac Beauty.jpg
    Lilac Beauty.jpg
    352.2 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
And finally, Golden Plusia, the least distributed of the macros I've had so far (recorded in 51% of 10k squares)

Attachments

• Golden Plusia.jpg
    Golden Plusia.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 60
  • Golden Plusia 2.jpg
    Golden Plusia 2.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 55
Swallowtails

Amazingly, there were still five or six flying at Strumpshaw yesterday: as well as the very tatty individual I managed to photograph, there was a pristine pair flying together along Lackford Run. Also, the first Gatekeeper I've seen at the Fen this year!

Attachments

• ST best2.jpg
    ST best2.jpg
    693 KB · Views: 70
  • ST 2.jpg
    ST 2.jpg
    485.2 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Wings all a-flutter at Holt CP

The male Silver-washed (on the left) is creeping up on the female (on the right), with an obvious glint in his eye. They then went off, wheeling up-and-away.

The vaselina has been a slippery customer, this week. I saw her briefly this afters, high above the sallows near the pond.

Attachments

• 004pse.jpg
    004pse.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 100
SSF will still be about next weekend?

In theory, of course.

It depends, however, on the clemency of the weather- and the forecast is not looking fantastic.

I'm beginning to think the Silver-washed (and White Admirals, for that matter) prefer it to be slightly warmer and sunnier for longer until they venture forth. Yesterday afternoon, once the rain had stopped, Ringlets, for example, abounded, whilst I had quite a wait for the above; and, since it wasn't very sunny or warm, there weren't many of either.

[BTW, if your ‘Location’ is where it says it is, there are sites for both of these much nearer you, with the added attraction of Marbled Whites and other goodies.]

Last edited:
Large-scale emergence of Skippers (mainly Small) at Salthouse, this afternoon, after the rain.

PM me you like

I dearly wish it was in my gift to replace the Prime Minister. Unfortunately, the opportunity will probably not occur until next year. In addition, I’m unsure of your qualifications.

However, I have sent you a private message, as requested.

White-letter and Purple Hairstreaks at Mousehold Heath, Norwich, today.

The former were around the Elms beside the road, on the left if you are looking up towards Zacs restaurant from the pavement.

The Purples were up on the heath.

Cheers,

Thomas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back