• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zen Ray and Generation II ED's? (1 Viewer)

But its just so difficult to believe that the Chinese in such a short period of time can compete with optic firms that have been around for almost 100 years? I just find it so hard to believe that they have that same R&D?

Welcome to the 21st century, the internet and globalization. These days, theres no sure bet that a thats 100 years old is any better or reputable than one thats 2 years old. Especially with optics and simple mechanical manufacturing. For the last few decades, optical design has been completely computerized. You can even subcontract optical designs to big name companies that already have the engineering and software. Theres nothing to stop a small company from designing and building a great set of binos.

I don't believe in brand loyalty. I demand factual objective proof that something performs at a stated level by an impartial party.

Thats my 2 cents.

I don't believe in brand loyalty. I demand factual objective proof that something performs at a stated level by an impartial party.
I hear what your saying but I do have brand loyalty.... I have seen in many things that have a good history of build quality that they are to be trusted. Where there are many manufacturers of various mechanical things that will, from time to time, hit a home run with a item but the item to item or batch to batch quality will be inconsistent. Also I have also been the unfortunate one that would go out and buy the newest, hottest thing only to find out that it was unserviceable because the company no longer existed... So there is something to say about a company's history and reputation and I for one am willing to pay for it..... I do think the newest Bins coming out of China are really shaking things up and I think they are great products but I'm not yet willing to jump on board with ownership.... I will still pay the bloated prices of the Alphas because I'm comfortable with their history and service record. I once sent back a pair of Swaro 10x42 SLC's that I had ruined one of the objective lenses on. I was riding horseback and the objective cover had worked itself off without my knowing it. The bins bounced off my belt buckle for hours before I dismounted and saw the damage. I sent them back and expected a huge bill.... Not only did they replace the lens but also the armor and a complete refurbish.... The cost to me? Zero! not a penny! They even paid the return shipping! This is why I will continue to pay for the top brands. But!!!!! If the Vortex and ZR's continue to build both a quality product and a good history behind them.... Well maybe at some point I will take the plunge :t:

Also I have also been the unfortunate one that would go out and buy the newest, hottest thing only to find out that it was unserviceable because the company no longer existed...

See, thats something I personally don't really deal with much. Most of the things I buy are disposable to the point where the repair costs is high enough to justify just buying another. Sure I own a few big ticket items that I do like to have servicability peace of mind but my binos are not on that list. However, of all the feedback I've read about Zen Ray's customer service and listening to customer requests, it seems to be really good. You have to also realize that small companies like ZR are usually run by an enthusiast like ourselves and not big enough to be just another heartless corporation. I'm going to enjoy being able to ask for features on top end binos at rock bottom prices while I can. Competition is good and I also support the manufacture of more high quality goods in china.

Well I'm just not wired that way... Sometimes I wish I were the bargain shopper but I have learned that you get what you pay for... I am willing to pay for quality every time and to go without till I can afford it. I now have a house full of quality stuff that will last a lifetime and retain its value instead of a house full of throw away junk....

Last edited:
So you have to pay now in order to pre-order one? Have you guys payed up already?

Yes, I pre-ordered July 16 and my credit card was charged the following day. Not an uncommon practice.

Plus ZR indicates the item will ship the end of the first week of August, which satisfies the requirement for shipment to be made within 30 days of a charge in the USA.

Ok thanks! The first are to be shipped on 8/8, got info today.

Yes, I pre-ordered July 16 and my credit card was charged the following day. Not an uncommon practice.

Plus ZR indicates the item will ship the end of the first week of August, which satisfies the requirement for shipment to be made within 30 days of a charge in the USA.

Last edited:
First Post

Hi everyone,
I have been looking in on the forum for a while, using the pool of knowledge to help decide on a new pair of Bino's.
I was very keen on the Vortex Razors, but didn't quite have the cash. I found the reviews you guys have done on the ZenRay's and they have impressed me.
Now i'm no expert, but the value for money the the ZR's offer was too tempting. The the ED2's came out with the improvements and 20% off so I ordered some.
I hope that they are going to be as good as I think they'll be.
Thanks to everyone who posted their thoughts and reviews.:t:
Steve

Just wanted to report that I got my pair of 10x43 ED2s today. Impressed by the company, since I had only chosen priority mail. At first glance these binos are fantastic. While I am no expert, they look my Monarch's look like kids binos. I have had the opportunity to look through Sarovskis, and I think these come pretty close

Kapitankool, more info please! Have you had the opportunity to take them out for a "spin"? How is the edge to edge clarity?

Might I suggest that reviews and evaluations of the 8x42 and 10x42 ED2 be put on a single thread?

Like this one ... created for the purpose!

http://birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=148796

Keeping the evaluations and comments in one place make it easier to follow (see the previous long one bin threads for the other Zen Ray ED and ZRS, Promaster ED and similar bins).

I just got them at the office, so not really taken them out for a spin. But my office is on the harbor and it is a cloudy day today. The view from the binos is much brighter The edge quality is great. I am not an expert so I cannot answer any technical stuff. I am watching seagulls right now and I can see them pretty well, while they are a speck with the naked eye.

Last edited:
I received my 10x43 ED2s today. Oregon to Maine in two days via priority mail is most impressive. It fits Zen Ray's exemplary customer service model perfectly. I will defer to the experts for technical review, but based on a quick spin with them outside just now, I am very confident that they will be superb. I am very happy to finally have them!

The only new thing (I think) that I might note is that on the bottom of the box is a printed chart of four ED2 models. There is a 9x36 model listed that appears to share, at least, the 7x36s size, weight and close focus distance. This is the first I've seen of this model anyway. I hope those who have also been waiting will see their ED2s soon - they are on their way!

Kevin,

I think it an great idea to have threads specifically for each bin. I am curious about the 9x36, it is not mentioned on their site. In earlier posts (different thread), there were many comments on wanting a 9x36 Tero was one mentioning it, I beleive). Perhaps Zen-ray has another much desired bin on its way! They do appear to listening to the binaholics on this forum! There may be some new bins in Christmas stockings if the 9x36's hit the market!

From my contacts with ZR, the 9x36 has always been in the works. They waited to see that they got the 7x36 right. If it is OK, and I think very likely will be, but who knows, the 9x36 will probably follow as soon as they can get a shipment put together.

Kevin,

I think it an great idea to have threads specifically for each bin. I am curious about the 9x36, it is not mentioned on their site. In earlier posts (different thread), there were many comments on wanting a 9x36 Tero was one mentioning it, I beleive). Perhaps Zen-ray has another much desired bin on its way! They do appear to listening to the binaholics on this forum! There may be some new bins in Christmas stockings if the 9x36's hit the market!

I think it's time the forum create a "Zen Ray" section. That way, all the zen ray discussions won't be in the "others" section.

That being said, my request to zen ray is a 7.5 x 32, if that is possible :)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back