• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

duchaillui (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Maybe here anyone knows the exact birth date of Paul Belloni du Chaillu. The french Wiki here seems well researched. But if I look at the english here there seems to be some doubts as James seems to have as well as the key tells us:

Paul Belloni du Chaillu (?1831-1903) French/US explorer in central Africa 1855-1859, 1863-1865, hunter, anthropologist (Buccanodon, syn. Terpsiphone viridis speciosa).

OD Buccanodon duchaillui and syn. Terpsiphone viridis speciosa alias Muscipeta duchaillui.

In my MS I have no years for "Duchaillu" [i.e. Paul Belloni du Chaillu], as his only mentioned in context, as the one who (in 1853) collected of the type of Woodhouse's Antpecker (alt. Red-headed ditto) Parmoptila woodhousei CASSIN 1859 (as well as 127 other taxon, more than a dozen earlier unknown).

To me this talk strongly in favour of the earlier year/s given in English Wiki; "Born July 31, 1831/1835/1839". The same hesitance, or at least some ambivalence, seems to be present in France (his original nationality). Note that French Wiki, in their Notes, No.1, writes: Des controverses ont existé autour de la date (1831, 1835 ou 1837) et du lieu de naissance (île Bourbon, Paris, Dakar, La Nouvelle-Orléans ou la Caroline du Sud) de Paul Du Chaillu. Sa pierre tombale indique, elle, la Louisiane"

Either way; I would exclude the possibility of him being born in "1839". I doubt he was only 14 when he explored the forests of Gabon. ;)

To me, without digging into it any deeper, it looks like French Wiki is the most trustworthy (this said without understanding it/French), simply by reference to the English ditto, and the phrase; "... (the consensus of modern scholars) ..."

That's all I've got, Martin. Sorry for not being able to give you a complete/better answer.

Good luck pinpointing him.

Björn
--

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back