• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Rise of the Phwitcher (1 Viewer)

A lot of people are forgetting that the birds can, and should, be enjoyable by all. Photographer or otherwise. There are many people mainly interested in ticking off a name on a list, as shown by several posts in the forums. "Garden List" and "Targets for 2018" are two obvious ones. If that is what people want to do that is fine by me as long they show tolerance of others. I carry binoculars and a camera, the latter is ideal for better identification at leisure. Opisska has summed it up well. There must be tolerance by all.

Not sure I agree with this Gerald. I really enjoy James' thread. It seems to me that anything that encourages youngsters to enjoy wildlife can only be a good thing. If I'm out with my 7 year old we often keep a day list. It helps to keep him interested. The last time we were out he was landed to see a Bittern that I'd missed and spotting the Nightingale in the undergrowth that I was struggling to pick out. He hasn't quite forgiven me for going straight from work to see the Pembrokeshire Snowy Owl though3:)

Rich

Not sure I agree with this Gerald. I really enjoy James' thread. It seems to me that anything that encourages youngsters to enjoy wildlife can only be a good thing. If I'm out with my 7 year old we often keep a day list. It helps to keep him interested. The last time we were out he was landed to see a Bittern that I'd missed and spotting the Nightingale in the undergrowth that I was struggling to pick out. He hasn't quite forgiven me for going straight from work to see the Pembrokeshire Snowy Owl though3:)

Rich

I'm with you, Rich. Not only because I feel it is inevitable that anyone with a properly enquiring mind will eventually start to want to see birds found remote from their home, and anyone methodical will "target" them in turn, but because any kind of listing aids memory, reminiscence and subsequent assistance to others who may wish to know either what they will see at a location or where they may encounter a particular species. It becomes a part of sociability and community-spirited birding.

But some people will always find a way to find fault with anything.

John

Rich

The only creature in this story I have never forgiven is the aforementioned Snowy Owl, who inexplicably left the night before I got there!

Polite persuasion is the only way to stop this - most people respond to courtesy; confrontation tends to polarise opinion & gets nowhere

The alternative is to ignore them - which implies that their behaviour is acceptable

I don't like intervening either. Some years ago I approached an elderly couple watching a Peregrines' nest from some 30 yards away. They were very reluctant to move, telling me off for being there too (cheeky sods) - I was only there briefly because of them ! Eventually they moved. If they hadn't, I would have called the police as a last resort

One possible solution to all this bad feeling is to befriend as many visitors you regularly encounter on your patch as possible, ideally before they get the chance to do anything you find irksome while they're a stranger. I don't mean True Birders, whatever you think those are, I mean every kind of visitor. Get their numbers, emails. I did this for a patch I've unfortunately recently moved away from, but it was a revelation.

I put out sightings to the entire list (from the RSPB volunteer warden to dog walkers I met only once), figuring if some hadn't heard of a Lesser Whitethroat maybe they would enjoy googling it. In the cold snap a few of us met up and watched a confiding Water Rail at a distance we could all agree on. Turns out people don't like potentially ticking off their friends! I also got photos and sightings in my inbox in return, including some species I hadn't seen.

I also put out news on breeding pairs' progress and any disturbances I observed, to everyone. I was able to retrospectively get additional evidence on a disturbance case from a photographer who'd documented the sitting birds weeks earlier than I had (as I don't take many photographs!). Of course I have had words with others on the patch, letting their dogs run amok over the grasslands and even through a reedbed, but I believe Paul is right about the power of unity. Because of the network I built up I'm still involved in the patch from afar, just as well as needless to say it's subject to a planning application that will ruin it.

Last edited:
New to this thread- but a very interesting read. I have come to birding through my interest in photography - camera first, binoculars later! In my (limited experience) I've always found fellow birders/photographers very friendly and encouraging - if I take the time to say hello. Since starting bird photography (and watching) the number of species in my garden is increased 4-fold!! What I have found is that the more interested I have become the slower I move around and the more I see (either with binoculars or camera) and the more observant of the bird's behaviour I am and the more careful I am not to disturb things.

One possible solution to all this bad feeling is to befriend as many visitors you regularly encounter on your patch as possible, ideally before they get the chance to do anything you find irksome while they're a stranger. I don't mean True Birders, whatever you think those are, I mean every kind of visitor. Get their numbers, emails. I did this for a patch I've unfortunately recently moved away from, but it was a revelation.

I put out sightings to the entire list (from the RSPB volunteer warden to dog walkers I met only once), figuring if some hadn't heard of a Lesser Whitethroat maybe they would enjoy googling it. In the cold snap a few of us met up and watched a confiding Water Rail at a distance we could all agree on. Turns out people don't like potentially ticking off their friends! I also got photos and sightings in my inbox in return, including some species I hadn't seen.

I also put out news on breeding pairs' progress and any disturbances I observed, to everyone. I was able to retrospectively get additional evidence on a disturbance case from a photographer who'd documented the sitting birds weeks earlier than I had (as I don't take many photographs!). Of course I have had words with others on the patch, letting their dogs run amok over the grasslands and even through a reedbed, but I believe Paul is right about the power of unity. Because of the network I built up I'm still involved in the patch from afar, just as well as needless to say it's subject to a planning application that will ruin it.

I like the approach. Most people - and ALL kids - are interested in nature to some degree but most don’t realise what’s on their doorstep. The more you can fly the flag for it by raising awareness, the better. Love of wildlife leads to respect for it, which leads to conservation.

Polite persuasion is the only way to stop this - most people respond to courtesy; confrontation tends to polarise opinion & gets nowhere

The alternative is to ignore them - which implies that their behaviour is acceptable

I don't like intervening either. Some years ago I approached an elderly couple watching a Peregrines' nest from some 30 yards away. They were very reluctant to move, telling me off for being there too (cheeky sods) - I was only there briefly because of them ! Eventually they moved. If they hadn't, I would have called the police as a last resort

Well said, a bit more diplomacy is what this (birding) world needs. Having said that, please don’t read my comments on the Snowy Owl thread where I issued a preemptive warning to any prospective idiots!

But back to the original point, we all know responsible photographers and idiots with binoculars etc. Can’t tar all with the same brush.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back