Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Lynx: Birds of Thailand, Birds of Vietnam

Old Friday 16th November 2018, 08:48   #26
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by viator View Post
The only negative for me on the samples are the QR codes which I consider a waste of space....Otherwise looks excellent.
I don't like them either.
Old Friday 7th December 2018, 12:09   #27
dnsallen

Does anyone have any comments on the adequacy of the illustrations of the egrets and accipiters?
Des
Old Yesterday, 10:45   #28
Swissboy
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnsallen View Post
Does anyone have any comments on the adequacy of the illustrations of the egrets and accipiters?
Des
My main gripe is that the whites on the egrets are mostly way too gray. Flight pictures are better.

I just received my soft cover copy today. I'm very pleased with this version. It is only slightly smaller than my hard cover Thailand version. Quite a bit thinner, though with 50 pages less also making a difference. Anyway, I think this is definitely more fitting for field use.
!

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Yesterday, 11:36   #29
dnsallen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swissboy View Post
My main gripe is that the whites on the egrets are mostly way too gray. Flight pictures are better.

I just received my soft cover copy today. I'm very pleased with this version. It is only slightly smaller than my hard cover Thailand version. Quite a bit thinner, though with 50 pages less also making a difference. Anyway, I think this is definitely more fitting for field use.
I agree that they are rather grey, though it must be hard to get any feather definition with pure white.
IMO it is impossible to identify many or most non-breeding egrets to species using the plates. The shapes of the head/gape/bare part features are required.

The juvenile Accipiters also don't show sufficient head details
Old Yesterday, 15:04   #30
James Eaton
Trent Valley Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnsallen View Post
IMO it is impossible to identify many or most non-breeding egrets to species using the plates. The shapes of the head/gape/bare part features are required.

The juvenile Accipiters also don't show sufficient head details
Then refer to the text? It's the text that makes a field guide, especially for the difficult-to-identify species.

James

Website
Support the Oriental Bird Club, keeping those vagrants alive for you!
Old Yesterday, 20:02   #31
MJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Eaton View Post
Then refer to the text? It's the text that makes a field guide, especially for the difficult-to-identify species.

James
Too right. I lugged the 1995 Howell & Webb Birds of Mexico and Northern Central America to Belize over 20 years ago; the voluminous text was superbly helpful, and I must confess, unexpectedly so. It wasn't until I was using it daily that I realised what an amazing resource it was. It required considerable concentration at first, but then became a source of quick and authoritative reference.
MJB
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: