• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Juvenile black heade gull or not? - Belgium (1 Viewer)

Wallander

Can someon please help me? Not so familiar with juvs

Many thanks in advance!!! :t:+B :)

Attachments

• MO1.jpg
    MO1.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 96
Although not a brilliant photo the juvenile plumage, to me, is a very attractive phase for Black-headed Gull with beautiful Ginger tones but it doesn’t last long.

Laurie -

Agree Laurie,

When really fresh and flying for a couple of days, the amount of times I've heard people ask, "What is that strange gull out there?"

They really are Ginger Whingers for a week.

I was out with (i thought) a relatively experienced birder on an RSPB reserve and he was watching a fresh juvenile BHG ‘spinning’ around on the water catching flies - he called me over to point out a ‘Phalarope’:eek!:

He had never bothered to look closely at breeding Black-headed Gulls:C

Laurie -

When is the photo from? BHGull chicks here are still well short of fledging - stumpy wings with little in the way of flight feather development yet. At least another week or two to go yet.

When is the photo from? BHGull chicks here are still well short of fledging - stumpy wings with little in the way of flight feather development yet. At least another week or two to go yet.

At a large colony in Yorkshire on 16th June, there were all ages from small downy chicks to flying ginger juveniles.

At a large colony in Yorkshire on 16th June, there were all ages from small downy chicks to flying ginger juveniles.
Yep - that colony I went to y'day turns out to be a bit behind - went to another today which already had fledged young :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back