• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eyepiece to Kite SP ED 82? (1 Viewer)

These eyepieces seem to be clones of Swarovski's 20x60 and 25x50. If so the second is better.
BTW - is this Kite scope another clone of Vortex Razor or Zen Ray?

Last edited:
There was a discussion about this scope a few months back. I think it was actually a tangent discussion in either Vortex Razor or Zen Ray 82 ED2 thread. They appear to be based off of the same base design. I did not see the 30x wide angle eyepiece available with this version though. Was I missing it somewhere?

I never tried the production 25-50x zoom for the Zen Ray but did use the prototype unit for some time. The prototype wasn't a clone of the Swaro wide angle but was my preferred eyepiece of the two zooms.

The Kite scope and eyepieces certainly look like the Zen-Ray scope and eyepieces. I reviewed them here:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=202943

A description of the 20-60x zoom is in the scope review and comparison between the two zooms is in post #23. I agree with Frank that the 20x60x is a Swarovski copy, but the 25-50x is not the same as the Swaro 25-50x.

Thanks for your knowledge :)

I don´t know if Kite´s scope is clone of Zen-Ray (never heard about that one) but my local optics store in Helsinki recommended this SP82ED as a good mid-price scope that is very competitive against Swaro or Zeiss scopes :)

The Kite scope and eyepiece come from a Japanese optics manufacturer that begins with K. Apparently there will be a manufacturer's own brand version of that scope "coming soon".

I also recently heard on the grapevine that there are at least three factory versions of the platform which might explain the subtle differences seen across the various incarnations that are being touted as clones.

Cheers, Pete

Found the existence of this brand and model(s) today. Any experiences in these last 7 years with this Kite sp82ed and maybe some have been able to compare it to other scopes?

Reading here, and in the Zen-Ray thread linked to in post #4 by Henry, I see the Baader zoom will fit this body?

Costing around €1500 I would especially be curious to see how it compares to nowadays best in that pricerange like the Nikon Monarch, the (somewhat more expensive) Meopta s2 and Swaro ats. Any thoughts and/or experiences?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back