• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Uploading Photos help? (1 Viewer)

cjay

I have paint shop pro 6 How do I upload photographs to this forum please?

I do have some good birdy pics.

CJ

Hi Colin,
I'm not familiar with that particular programme, maybe someone else is?
You need to resize the images to a monitor-friendly size.. 640pixels x480pixels or 800x600 are the norm.
When done, you need to save them to a folder on your p.c. in Jpeg format. Hopefully, when saving, you will be given the option to select a compression ratio...choose 50-60% or about midway of what choices you are given. The main thing is to get the file size down to below 100kb, ideally less. Remember to keep the original photo safe.
Just browse to the jpeg when prompted in the gallery section.
Regards,
Andy

Hi Colin,

I use PSP7.04, which I think will be very similar in operation to PSP6. It's a great program for digital photo work.

I presume you've already found how to resize the shots to the sizes that Andy quotes ?
I don't know whether you have found the Photo Toolbar. There are quite a few features hidden away in the program that need ferreting out. If you go into the View -> Toolbars then tick the box for Photo Toolbar it brings up a very useful tool, the Jpeg optimiser. As Andy says, it lets you select different Jpeg compressions which you can preview. Attachments on here have to be under 100 kb. You then save the optimised copy to a folder nominated by you on your hard drive. I usually use an 'o' after the file name just so I know instantly it's been optimised.
You've then got two choices as to how to upload the photo to Bird Forum.
You can either use the 'attachment' method or upload you photo to a photo hosting website such as pbase or Fototime and then post a hyperlink from that site on Bird Forum. Not all photo hosts allow hot linking unless you are a fully paid member.
For the attachment method, on a new message, use the 'browse' button below the text box, locate the photo in the folder on your hard drive, highlight it and click OK and it will appear in the browse window. Once you've written your text hit the submit button. Don't use the preview button as it removes the attachment and you will have to redo it before submitting your reply.
If you want to include a photo in a reply to a thread, then don't use the quick reply box at the bottom of the page, instead use the green 'post reply' button which brings up a new page that includes the browse box.
Does that answer your query ? If not let me know and we'll work though it together.

Many thanks IanF,
I followed your instructions and managed to attach a photo to a post for the first time.
Dave

Hi, I'm quite new to this forum so I'm trying to get the hang of uploading photos. I sent a message with an attachment but it came out all 'mixed up' so I think I may have a problem with my internet connection. Excuse me if I try the hyperlink method explained above. Hope it works this time. If it does it will be a pair of common darters (Sympetrum striolatum).
common-darterswheel.jpg

I'll try attaching it as well, just for comparison.
Ken

(I believe that the upload problem is something to do with my proxy server, but I've never got the hang of changing the proxy server... I'm on NTL broadband. If anyone can explain it in simple terms, I'd be more than grateful.:t: )

Attachments

• common-darterswheel.jpg
    common-darterswheel.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:
The link works fine.

In simple terms a proxy server caches pages from other servers to speed up access. Large organisations use them quite a lot. I am not sure how this would be affecting your link.

I see you use NTL BB. I am thinking of getting this - any comments?

Robin

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back