• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Will this protect bird boxes from wasps? (1 Viewer)

BeeGuy

I'm building some warbler and blue bird boxes. Reading studies on their effectiveness, I see many are never used because wasps move in and start to build on the inside roof. Can I discourage the wasps by adding aluminum foil or aluminum sheet to the inner roof, or will that scare off birds looking to use the box? A wasp would be hard pressed to get its nest to hold to such materials.

Welcome to Birdforum!

I can't see aluminium foil stopping a really determined wasp. I wonder if it might just be better to put up enough boxes that there's always some empty for everyone? After all, wasps and bees are important in the environment, too.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back