• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

sheepwash urban park (1 Viewer)

Vice County

Its in west mids county, in the middle of Great Bridge
Cheers
MB

Hi Craig,
The West Midlands County is a modern recent County which is an area of high population and receives more resources, which was at one time made up of the vice counties of Staffordshire, Worcestershire and Warwickshire. I know this are is not in VC38 Warwickshire so I would guess it's VC Staffordshire then the record would go to David Elmely the Staffordshire recorder, as Biological recording goes to the vice Counties (this should also mean birds).

regards, John

Green Hairstreak

Its in west mids county, in the middle of Great Bridge
Cheers
MB

Craig, I have now had a return e-mail from Dave Elmley the Staffordshire moth recorder and he collects Staffordshire Butterfly records to the old vice County, Dave said he has no records from Sheep Wash Urban park.
As anyone seen Green Hairstreak there in the past, some people breed native butterflies and release them into areas they assume is suitable as no license is required, however the majority soon die out. Although releases of Purple Emperor, Silver-washed Fritillary, wood White in South Warks have been successful. Warwickshire Butterfly conservation attempted to establish a colony of Marsh Fritillary at Ryton Meadows but was not successful.

Regards, John

Last edited:
Craig, I have now had a return e-mail from Dave Elmley the Staffordshire moth recorder and he collects Staffordshire Butterfly records to the old vice County, Dave said he has no records from Sheep Wash Urban park.
As anyone seen Green Hairstreak there in the past, some people breed native butterflies and release them into areas they assume is suitable as no license is required, however the majority soon die out. Although releases of Purple Emperor, Silver-washed Fritillary, wood White in South Warks have been successful. Warwickshire Butterfly conservation attempted to establish a colony of Marsh Fritillary at Ryton Meadows but was not successful.

Regards, john
Hi John and Craig,
Green Hairstreak was first recorded here in 1994 and also in 1998 but as far as I know not since,however it can easily be overlooked.
Wall Brown were quite common until 1993 then suddenly disappeared to be replaced by Gatekeeper which then became common, presumably because of climate change. In 2004 Ringlet appeared.
Clouded Yellow were almost annual as there was plenty of Goats Rue everywhere, probably still is?
Since 2006 I have more or less ceased visiting the reserve so it's good to hear of any records, keep up the good work Craig.
Geoff

Sheep Wash Urban Park

Hi John and Craig,
Green Hairstreak was first recorded here in 1994 and also in 1998 but as far as I know not since,however it can easily be overlooked.
Wall Brown were quite common until 1993 then suddenly disappeared to be replaced by Gatekeeper which then became common, presumably because of climate change. In 2004 Ringlet appeared.
Clouded Yellow were almost annual as there was plenty of Goats Rue everywhere, probably still is?
Since 2006 I have more or less ceased visiting the reserve so it's good to hear of any records, keep up the good work Craig.
Geoff

Thanks Geoff, A good resume here. John

Irritating is'nt it Geoff? With regard to the unaccepted records. On paper you would be more likely to get Dusky Warbler rejected but fortunately lots of people saw it so it get rubber-stamped. Whereas birds that are familiar abroad, relatively common and not difficult to identify e.g. Crag Martin and Bonelli's Warbler get threaded on a piece of string and hung in the toilet! Had it been in Norfolk and a known birder there probably would not have been a problem. All the more annoying when something good turns up in the Mids as a bit of payback for all the time spent local patching.......

I smiled wryly to myself on Monday whilst watching the CCC in Herefordshire with superb weather and a stunning backdrop thinking of all these East Coast birders fretting and sweating at having to come all the way over to the Mids out of their 'comfort zone' - what with Marmora's Warbler and Desert Wheatear all within 18 months or so - whatever next?

ATB Laurie:t:

Irritating is'nt it Geoff? With regard to the unaccepted records. On paper you would be more likely to get Dusky Warbler rejected but fortunately lots of people saw it so it get rubber-stamped. Whereas birds that are familiar abroad, relatively common and not difficult to identify e.g. Crag Martin and Bonelli's Warbler get threaded on a piece of string and hung in the toilet! Had it been in Norfolk and a known birder there probably would not have been a problem. All the more annoying when something good turns up in the Mids as a bit of payback for all the time spent local patching.......

I smiled wryly to myself on Monday whilst watching the CCC in Herefordshire with superb weather and a stunning backdrop thinking of all these East Coast birders fretting and sweating at having to come all the way over to the Mids out of their 'comfort zone' - what with Marmora's Warbler and Desert Wheatear all within 18 months or so - whatever next?

ATB Laurie:t:
Hi Laurie,
I suppose it is a bit irritating but understandable( I wouldn't like to be on BBRC and have to decide which bird is real or imagined).
Since doing Lincs. on a regular basis and occasionally finding rarities I made the decision to stop submitting rarity forms. Now I just put out the news and hope other birders get to see the bird, (the only bird I did a finders report on was for a Terek Sandpiper for the Lincs Bird Club 2009 annual report and only because they asked me to, I didn't put a description in though).
Geoff

There are a few records each year of well-watched rarities that do'nt get published because the original finders do not submit them altho BBRC do put out requests for details from anybody who saw the record. You have found enough stuff now but birds away from the coast that are'nt seen by anybody else and that are smaller than a White Stork are going to be difficult to get accepted!

Laurie :t:

A quick visit last Sunday - good amount of shoreline on the far side of the main pool and around the island - litter adjacent should be picked up really....

Migrants -

Willow Warbler
ChiffChaff 2+
Blackcap - lots
Whitethroat - single male singing on embankment
Reed Warbler - 3+ singing males
Swallow - single bird the only hirundine noted

Oystercatcher - single bird circling, calling before flying off
Raven - one bird calling, in the distance, somewhere.
Buzzard

No other waders or Common Terns seen.

Laurie:t:

Birdwise very quiet, 2 Common Tern
But lots of Damselflies.
3 Red-Eyed Damselflies showing on the small fishing pool north of the main pool, on the lilly pads. Common Blue everywhere, and the same can be said for Blue-tailed.
Single Brimstone butterfly
Highlight though was a female Black-tailed Skimmer at the small marshy pools near the 2nd tunnel.
Photos to follow
MB

Birdwise very quiet, 2 Common Tern
But lots of Damselflies.
3 Red-Eyed Damselflies showing on the small fishing pool north of the main pool, on the lilly pads. Common Blue everywhere, and the same can be said for Blue-tailed.
Single Brimstone butterfly
Highlight though was a female Black-tailed Skimmer at the small marshy pools near the 2nd tunnel.
Photos to follow
MB

DSCN8560.jpg

DSCN8722.jpg

DSCN8758.jpg
MB

Quick visit, 11.30-12.15 -

Quiet, water levels up as expected, very little shoreline exposed.

Migrants -

Whitethroat
Blackcap
Chiffchaff
Common Tern 2
Swift
LRP 1

A couple of LBB Gulls were the only Larids plus the resident 'plastic';)

ATB Laurie :t:

Marbled White

I had planned to go to Grimley to try and find some waders but had a call from Dave Waite to say he had found a new species of butterfly for Sheepwash, Marbled White. I managed to see two up by Newtown school, Marbled White had also recently been discovered on the Rowley Hills so maybe they are moving slowly north. Also seen were Comma, Ringlet and Meadow Brown.
Birdwise it was quiet but a Common Tern and a Shoveler were noteworthy. The adjacent Rattlechain Tip and pool still look as though they could attract Wheatear or something, on the pool were a few Lesser Black-backed and Herring Gull which no doubt nest on the warehouses nearby and a family of Little Grebe and Coot were seen but I don't know if Common Tern have bred this year, Dave said one of the terns was eaten by a Peregrine.
Geoff

An hour ystda, very quiet but the weather was OK.

Single Common Tern, singing Reed Warbler and Blackcap and Mr Plastic still maintaining a lonely vigil........Sandwell V prior to that for a couple of hours again quiet, a juv Common Tern being fed by adults. Presume local breeder?

Laurie:t:

I am not convinced that this is a Greater Scaup if this was the bird. Small and small tuft on rear crown.

Hi Martyn, Your picture doesn't show it but the black nail was also seen on the bill. I couldn't see any sign of a small tuft on the rear crown.
I never used to take my scope to Sheepwash but I did this time.
Perhaps others will comment if they see it?
Geoff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back