• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

webcam (1 Viewer)

i am back here after a long time away..

i am not sure if this would be the place to ask,but i wanted to try and hook up some kind of simple 'webcam' to view the activity of two birdfeeders which sit in a window in front of my computer desk.

somehow,with the use of software for this purpose,i was thinking that it would be wonderful if we computer people who enjoy birds would be able to send a quick link to a friend so that she/he could go over and see the activity at the feeder..

am i dreaming?
wouldn't it be wonder ful if we could do this?

does anyone have any practicality here..who could help by either telling me that (#1)i am nuts,or (#2)living in a land of make-believe,o (#3)r if such a thing would ever actually be possible to create.!!!

i do not think it needs to be terribly sophisticated..i think that such like things are getting more inexpensive and common..but..i really do not know.
any ideas?.

o:)
PS..wonderful place this birdforum :clap:
cheers!
alice

My suggestion would be to go to ebay and buy a wireless camera, you can then connect it up to a video in port on the pc. I bought one from honk kong for an amazing £4.99 last week plus about £12 P&P (5 days to deliver to Scotland). The kit contains everything you need i.e. colour cam transmitter, reciever and all the leads you need to get the system working. No skill needed as there is a guide included. OK the translation isn't great but I managed. I'm planning to fit the camera into a birdbox for next year and watch the goings on inside the box, just the same as SpringWatch on the beeb. If you do buy one, drop me a line for more info.
I've also started a new post on 'my birding day' with more details on this subject. I thought it might be better in a place where more people would view the post, rather as a reply to your original post.
Sorry Alice, I forgot you were in the US, Spring Watch is a nature programme currently on the BBC over here in the UK.

Last edited:
In May, 2004, I gave the wife a "bird-cam" for her birthday. With it she can watch her feeder from work. She has been watching it everyday for over a year now and, believe it or not, it's a big hit at the office.

Cost was about $200 for the cam. I also utilize a wireless hub in the house and a broadband connection.

Give it a try at http://www.geocross.org/breelandpark
(Monday – Thursday, 8:00am to 5:00 pm PST)

(I'm not sure how it's going to handle lots of people watching. If it gets bad I may have to change the URL. The video is large but very smooth with only a few people watching. For high traffic sites, the size of the video should be smaller.)

Here are some pictures of the setup:

In-Use

Side of Camera

Top of Camera

ps: Please excuse the messy backyard, I usually keep it much nicer.

Last edited:
Ron in SoCal said:
In May, 2004, I gave the wife a "bird-cam" for her birthday. With it she can watch her feeder from work. She has been watching it everyday for over a year now and, believe it or not, it's a big hit at the office.

Cost was about $200 for the cam. I also utilize a wireless hub in the house and a broadband connection.

(I'm not sure how it's going to handle lots of people watching. If it gets bad I may have to change the URL. The video is large but very smooth with only a few people watching. For high traffic sites, the size of the video should be smaller.)

In-Use

Side of Camera

Top of Camera

:bounce: THIS IS ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS BEYOND EXCLAMATION.THANK YOU FOR SHARING THIS RON.!!!

Ron in SoCal said:

In-Use

Side of Camera

Top of Camera

:bounce: THIS IS ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS BEYOND EXCLAMATION.THANK YOU FOR SHARING THIS RON.!!!

Ron;; i tried to go to the rest of the site to actually see the bird cam "in action"..my last post was raving on just the gallery and the pictures of the camera and YOUR BACKYARD ..DROOL..it is absolutely the most beautiful backyard..No wonder the feeder cam is so popular at your wife's office.

it is refreshing just to see the backyard..

this is quite like what i was thinking of..perhaps a tad more sophisticated.

i have a Mac computer and that may complicate things a bit..i think i have found some possible solutions/ ways to make a bird cam..
however,.

i do not get notified on replies at this forum,so i did not see your response until today.

but today June 27, i logged on the the page you gave me for the feeder cam and all my screen said was loading java applet.

so that is as far as i got.

would like to be able to see the 'feeder cam'..do you have any other monetary costs of keeping the feeder cam going..other than the initial purchase of equipment?

best wishes
agnes
:bounce:

Agnes,

Thanks for the kind words. There is a reason the bird-cam has been out of action; I currently have my house up for sale and there have been people in & out at a steady rate. It has slowed down quite a bit, so I will go set it up & turn it on.

It’s funny, people think your crazy having something like this. I get some weird looks sometimes.

Anyway, I will start putting it back on-line as of now, As for costs, the only thing I have to pay for is a broadband internet connection. No special costs involved for the cam, just fast internet connectivity.

I hope you tune back in when it’s working. Enjoy!

Ron

One more thing -

Lately we've had a coopers hawk visiting the feeder. Don't be surprised if you witness a dove or sparrow become, well, a meal. :eek!:

one way I'd say of doing this isn't quite efective but is something nontheless. Just have a webcam hooked up to your comp, and have the program called "MSN messenger" what you can do is set up webcam conversations with those you'd like to share with. The only problem with this is it is very limited to usefulness. Can only be shared with others who use MSN, and in order for ppl to see what you have on the cam, you would need to send an invitation to view the cam.

Also if you were to view it from work, you would NEED msn at work, AND someone at home to send you the webcam invitation. The resolution is very small, and like I said, this method is incredibly limited.

Sorry if this was a little confusing, but I hope this helps you in some way, even if just a little. ;)

Laviscannon said:
one way I'd say of doing this isn't quite efective but is something nontheless. Just have a webcam hooked up to your comp, and have the program called "MSN messenger" what you can do is set up webcam conversations with those you'd like to share with. The only problem with this is it is very limited to usefulness. Can only be shared with others who use MSN, and in order for ppl to see what you have on the cam, you would need to send an invitation to view the cam.

Also if you were to view it from work, you would NEED msn at work, AND someone at home to send you the webcam invitation. The resolution is very small, and like I said, this method is incredibly limited.

Sorry if this was a little confusing, but I hope this helps you in some way, even if just a little. ;)
thank you,Laviscannon..
yes,i have been looking into something similar..since i have a Mac computer...There are things called firewire cameras..not sure how they work..but they can connect to the computer..and can be used for chatting,somehow..these cameras can also connect to a software download called Evocam..using this software ,apparently,one can channel the images from one's firewire camera to somewhere (a web site of ones own,i think..or a file sharing site)where everyone/anyone..probably by invitation,as you mention..can view the images..
i still have a lot to look into..but i 'get your drift'..Let's hope these ideas help other people who are seeking to do something along these lines.
cheers!
agnes

Ron in SoCal said:
Agnes,

Thanks for the kind words. There is a reason the bird-cam has been out of action; I currently have my house up for sale and there have been people in & out at a steady rate. It has slowed down quite a bit, so I will go set it up & turn it on.

It’s funny, people think your crazy having something like this. I get some weird looks sometimes.

Anyway, I will start putting it back on-line as of now, As for costs, the only thing I have to pay for is a broadband internet connection. No special costs involved for the cam, just fast internet connectivity.

I hope you tune back in when it’s working. Enjoy!

Ron
You know i will,Ron..
It is a shame that you are moving from such a lovely spot..This always happens..You get a place really beautiful...and then ..'moving time' happens..
Well,i have a tiny feeling that where ever you go,you will take your love of Beauty and Nature with you..and will create another little 'haven'..

do take your bird cam with you!!And find another spot to capture.!!

we will 'tune in'..if you do..
as long as it is ok with you !.(and if you continue to keep the cam capturing those 'magical moments' around the feeder or birdbath.)

Ps not sure a "bird making another bird his lunch" is exactly magical..but you get my drift...
things happen..good stuff,bad stuff.:nature being nature;having to move..you know..life on Planet Earth..The good,the bad ,the ugly and the beauty,.
Thank you for sharing
agnes
:flowers:

Moving...

Yeah, the webcam is going with me. After living in Huntington Beach, CA my entire life, I've decided to move almost 900 miles north. It's going to be quite a culture shock for this life long "beach bum", but I'm ready to get out of this rat race. Just too many people here for me.

I've purchased a home that is over twice the size of my current residence, with over 10 times the property, and it's riverfront property to boot. Best part is it will all be paid for when the escrow for my current home closes 22 days from now.

I know what you’re thinking – "He will never survive the winter". Truth is, I am so ready to actually experience seasons. Here in Huntington Beach the weather is always the same. Six months of rain and 40 degree highs sounds good to me.

So come August 1st, the view from the cam will be quite different. Grosbeaks, robins, and what ever else is up there will replace the morning doves and sparrows currently seen in the birdbath that I use for a feeder for now. I am looking forward to having a squirrel problem at the feeder(s), having to bring in the hummingbird feeders at night so they don’t freeze (like the current residents of the home tell me they do during the winter – year round hummers ?), and all the other problems associated with living with nature that far north. Can’t wait!

I'm going to have to change my user ID... ;)

rather than quote..i used italics below for your post and plain text and bold for my comments..

Ron,you said in response to my post
Yeah, the webcam is going with me. After living in Huntington Beach, CA my entire life, I've decided to move almost 900 miles north. It's going to be quite a culture shock for this life long "beach bum", but I'm ready to get out of this rat race. Just too many people here for me.

I've purchased a home that is over twice the size of my current residence, with over 10 times the property, and it's riverfront property to boot. Best part is it will all be paid for when the escrow for my current home closes 22 days from now.

I know what you’re thinking – "He will never survive the winter". Truth is, I am so ready to actually experience seasons. Here in Huntington Beach the weather is always the same. Six months of rain and 40 degree highs sounds good to me.

my response: fwitsw(for what it is worth)
you call that winter..ha ha ha ha ROFL from here Ontario Canada!! he he
Actually it sounds like you are raring to go and psyched for the challenge.

Ten times as much property to take care of will take some doing.!!LOL !

But i am sure you will enjoy an escape from the Rat race,because i really do not think we were meant to live in a rat race the way many of us find ourselves.
Enjoy! Ron in NoCal.(.or is it Ron in Oregon?) (Ron in Wash?) ( i am not that good with distances out west there.I am an Eastern Native.).
thanks again.for turning your cam on..Your mourning doves were having a party in the feeder when i just 'tuned in'.(Weds Pm here)..

you continued:So come August 1st, the view from the cam will be quite different. Grosbeaks, robins, and what ever else is up there will replace the morning doves and sparrows currently seen in the birdbath that I use for a feeder for now.
cool!!!
I am looking forward to having a squirrel problem at the feeder(s),

reallllllyy??????????? now i think you may be a bit 'off the deep end!'

you continued.... having to bring in the hummingbird feeders at night so they don’t freeze (like the current residents of the home tell me they do during the winter – year round hummers ?),
sweet !
,,,, and all the other problems associated with living with nature that far north. Can’t wait!

I'm going to have to change my user ID... ;)

he he ..yup. we will be watching for you at the forum [/B]
:bounce:
agnes

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back