• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Halesowen Garden sightings (1 Viewer)

14 / 06 / 2019

House sparrows appear to be increasing in numbers with many young now feeding in the garden, also 8 Swifts now feeding in the air.
Pair of very pale buzzards over the top of the tree's at the bottom of the garden this morning don't think they are the regular ones.
Have had a male Blackcap on the fat balls on the bottom feeder this morning.

Take a screenshot of your pictures on the PC and upload that - they are much much smaller resolution as hi-res is not needed for posting purposes. Either your browser has the facility or there is plenty of free software that will capture and crop...

Laurie:t:

15 / 06 / 2019 -

In the garden Chiffchaff with 2 youngsters other wise usual suspects.
Also have Goldfinch youngsters visiting my feeders.
6 Swifts over.

Last edited:
17 / 06 / 2019 -

No watching yesterday but this morning I've had a fledged young fest with Great spotted woodpecker, Goldfinch,Robin,Blackbird, Blue tit, Great tit, Greenfinch, House sparrow, Bullfinch, Wren, Song thrush, Dunnock & Starlings all in the garden and all being fed by the parents great to see.
Large numbers of Goldfinch young around this morning.
Still large numbers of House sparrow young, Albino house sparrow still around.
Just had a young Jay in the garden.

19 / 06 / 2019 -

Early start this morning even in the rain usual suspects with young.
New for month Pheasant female with 6 young bottom of garden couldn't see male though.
Cormorant x2 over heading towards the fishing pools at Wassel Grove.
Sparrowhawk male hanging around.

19 / 06 / 2019 -

Further update

NUTHATCH - in garden this evening 18.20 first one in the garden for quite a few months after checking yearly records for the garden they disappear every year around breeding time and usually return around August time so this year they are very early.

20 / 06 / 2019 -

Usual suspects around this morning.
Tawny owl calling just after midnight, Large gull numbers well up last night between 8 - 9 presume mostly lesser black backed gulls with a few herring gulls presumed heading towards Bartley Reservior.
Mind you we do have Frankley, Edgbaston and Bartley within easy reach of our area.

Will not be around till Tuesday as will be travelling to Brancaster with a friend to stay in mobile home till Tuesday morning

Here's hoping you all have a great birding weekend.

26/06/2019 -
A great weekend away 11 year ticks and 1 lifer (Purple heron) but back to garden watching -

Today's list is as follows -

Blackbird*, House sparrow*, Magpie*, Blue tit*, Wren. Carrion crow, Wood pigeon, Bullfinch*, Robin*, Chaffinch, Blackcap, Swift, Lesser black backed gull, Sparrowhawk, Greenfinch*, Long tailed tit, Dunnock*, Coal tit, Jackdaw, Grey heron, Feral pigeon, Song thrush, Jay*, Pheasant, Collared dove, Yellowhammer, Buzzard, Cormorant & Starling*

Please note - * denotes juveniles being fed by parents.

20 / 06 / 2019 -

Usual suspects around this morning.
Tawny owl calling just after midnight, Large gull numbers well up last night between 8 - 9 presume mostly lesser black backed gulls with a few herring gulls presumed heading towards Bartley Reservior.
Mind you we do have Frankley, Edgbaston and Bartley within easy reach of our area.

Will not be around till Tuesday as will be travelling to Brancaster with a friend to stay in mobile home till Tuesday morning

Here's hoping you all have a great birding weekend.

Hi Adrian,

From my house in Halesowen we often see large numbers of gulls heading towards Bartley Reservoir, some of which we presume feed in the fields around Hagley. Unfortunately we do not have Tawny Owl as regular as you do, with only a handful of recent records over the past few years.

Chris

Hi Chris which part of Halesowen do you live near I am on Fatherless Barn area with open fields at the bottom of my garden.

29 / 06 / 2019

Usual suspects with 5 Buzzards over the house and around 20 Swifts possibly many more as they keep dancing in the sky.
A pair of Raven over around 09.30am amnd a few Jays in the trees at the bottom of the garden.

01 / 07 / 2019

Not a lot of news to report today other than large numbers of swifts around and over the fields at the back of the house.

Garden refurbishment starts this week so I think there maybe little to report for a few days while I start the work.

02 / 07 / 2019 -

Early morning start in the garden 05.30am Family of Magpies increased by 1 bird.
2x Collard dove juveniles with adults, Many Jackdaws over again this morning other than this we have the usual suspects.

02 / 07 / 2019 -

Update a FIRST for the garden 12.07pm JACKDAW ADULT & JUVENILE on the ground under feeder number 3 I have had a couple of adult jackdaws on the feeders lately so wondering if this adult is one of them bringing a juvenile along.
Magpies chased them off at 12.25pm

03 / 07 / 2019 -

Juveniles on the feeders this morning - House sparrow, Blue tit. Starling, Great tit, Goldfinch, Magpie, Robin & Coal tit

On the ground - Wood pigeon, Dunnock, Wood pigeon, Collared dove & Chaffinch

Update from last night -

Sparrowhawk (female) took a Wood pigeon off a branch in the tree's at the bottom of the garden, Tawny owl calling 23.05 - 23.20

05 / 07 / 2019 -

A pair of juvenile Coal tits on feeders this morning along with a Young Great spotted woodpecker.
Young Green woodpecker flying around trees at bottom of the garden this morning.

Nothing else to report other than usual suspects still around.

Hi Chris which part of Halesowen do you live near I am on Fatherless Barn area with open fields at the bottom of my garden.

Hi Adrian,

Sorry it has taken so long to reply but I have been away to Devon and have only just got back. I live in Hayley Green close to the Harvester. I presume a lot of our birds in winter are drawn in from the surrounding fields and the Uffmoor Wood area during cold spells.

Chris

09 07 2019 -

Not too much around over the last few days except usual suspects .
Today a juvenile jay was feeding on the bird table and around 17.00 2 juvenile coal tits were on the fat ball feeder on feeder station 1

12 / 07 / 2019 -

Tawny owl calling this morning 03.15am

Did anything spook the Gulls at Bartley last night around 19.45 as I had 100's of large gulls away from the usual direction they came over in 4 large groups I would say mostly LBBG.

Swifts - last night saw a marked increase the number of Swifts around the house and over the tops of the trees at the bottom of my garden at one time I could count 25 with many more over the top of the house and further along the street.

19 / 07 / 2019 -

Today in the rain and wind -

First family of Long Tailed Tits on feeders, many juveniles now appeared to have fledged with hardly any young birds around.
Swifts up every night number vary from 10 to 30+
Gulls - large gulls over mainly LBBG but a few Herring and one GBBG
Parakeets heard but not seen on Wednesday 17th

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back