• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Connecting with birding guides (1 Viewer)

Hi All,

This is a big forum; I'm looking for a thread used to connect guides with birders, but I'm not finding it. Does such a thing exist and maybe I'm missing it?

I'm not inclined to go on a multi-day trip with a touring company, but I'd like to find guides for random day trips with just me and a friend as I've done in Costa Rica and Mexico.

I figured that there would be a thread on this site dedicated to that. If not, is there a website elsewhere you know of that acts as a clearinghouse for this service?

Thanks,

ConfusingFallWarbler

Hi All,

This is a big forum; I'm looking for a thread used to connect guides with birders, but I'm not finding it. Does such a thing exist and maybe I'm missing it?

I'm not inclined to go on a multi-day trip with a touring company, but I'd like to find guides for random day trips with just me and a friend as I've done in Costa Rica and Mexico.

I figured that there would be a thread on this site dedicated to that. If not, is there a website elsewhere you know of that acts as a clearinghouse for this service?

Thanks,

ConfusingFallWarbler

In many established bird sites, especially National Parks, you can find a local guide on arrival. They're either hanging around the park or you can ask locally for a recommendation.

I've done this in a few places and it works well but obviously, not for all sites.

There is always cloudbirders, for some destinations there are enough reports with local guides. If you comb through those, you’ll probably find some good recommendations (and sometimes someone that is not recommended). Authors of reports that have done their own preparation probably also know a bit more about guides so you could contact those...

If you instead of going into "information wanted" go a little further down the birdforum, there is an area called "your local patch". In that area, you can find individual sections for different countries. I have seen requests for information about local guides in those sections.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back