• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Picathartes is easy to see by my own? (1 Viewer)

As Steve says, the village works with Ashanti to manage the location. They are very protective of the birds, but do a good job of maintaining the actual nest site and protecting them. When I was there last year, they'd set up benches at the cliff so you can wait in relative comfort (at least compared to sitting on the ground).

But you will need permission from the village leaders to visit the site, and I think that can really only be obtained through Ashanti. I don't know for certain, but I also suspect they do not allow visitors during breeding season.

Picathartes sites

In a trip with a non birder friend?

I would question the comment that this site is under the control of Ashanti Tours. All the sites are under the control of the Ghana Wildlife Society under Dr Augustus Asamoah. As far as I know visits under strict control are authorised by GWS to all bona fide tour operators and not restricted to the particular one mentioned... Not all sites are available for visits for obvious reasons.

Nevertheless I think that you should avoid trying to visit any of the sites on your own as this would very likely bring you problems as GWS, at some sites at least, have their own people locally in the villages chartered with keeping an eye on the sites and controlling access.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back