• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Malaysian or Hodgson's Hawk Cuckoo? Singapore (1 Viewer)

How about these two identified as saturatus:

Kennerley P 1998: Oriental Cuckoos at Tuas, Singapore on 21st October and 2nd December 1995. Oriental Bird Club Bulletin 27 55-57.

In Tring collection there is an optatus with wing length 209 labelled Singapore, number NHM 81.5.1.3291, but for some reason there is no date in my notes.

Yes I was told that Kennerley did some private ringing exercises at the reclaimed land at Tuas in the 1990s when he was based in Singapore. But I am not privy to his Oriental Cuckoo ringing records. So did his 2 ringing records nailed the ID conclusively?

Bryon, I cannot get your link to work. My earlier reference to no Australian records was to the mainland. Sorry, I should have made that absolutely clear. Indian Cuckoo is on the Australian List by virtue of a sole AOT record of a female on Cocos (Keeling) Is in Feb 2011-I'd hardly call that Australia.

There no records of Himalayan or Sunda.

Grahame

Grahame,
we are talking about Ashmore Reef and Cartier Islands. A superb area for observing these birds with beautiful clear images. There is one, long pointed winged individual shown that looks like our own cuckoo. This probably would have been labelled horsefieldi/ii in the past. It has even reached New Zealand, before now. Also there are a number of records of H. varius from the region but inspite of the recent record from Oman they must owe more to skin trading routes than actual distribution. If Bruce from Brisbane said Fair Isle was not part of the UK lots would be up in arms!

Hi all,
is this definitely saturatus and not optatus?

How about these two identified as saturatus:

Kennerley P 1998: Oriental Cuckoos at Tuas, Singapore on 21st October and 2nd December 1995. Oriental Bird Club Bulletin 27 55-57.

In Tring collection there is an optatus with wing length 209 labelled Singapore, number NHM 81.5.1.3291, but for some reason there is no date in my notes.

Fairly self explanatory Bryon....Peter Kennerley trapped two saturatus in 1995 while the skin at NHM Tring is optatus, also from Singapore. The latest edition (2017) of the Singapore Bird Checklist only lists saturatus (Himalayan) so I assume they are unaware of the Tring optatus (Oriental) specimen.

Grahame

Last edited:
Fairly self explanatory Bryon....Peter Kennerley trapped two saturatus in 1995 while the skin at NHM Tring is optatus, also from Singapore. The latest edition (2017) of the Singapore Bird Checklist only lists saturatus (Himalayan) so I assume they are unaware of the Tring optatus (Oriental) specimen.

Grahame

I had spoken to Dr Yong Dingli and he is unaware of the optatus skin at Tring.

Dr. Yong also told me that only one of the bird ringed by Peter is confirmed a saturatus.

I had spoken to Dr Yong Dingli and he is unaware of the optatus skin at Tring.

Yes, there is at least one. But it is a different question if it is acceptable as a local record. Skin trading was common at that time. For example, the type locality of Setaria albogularis (Grey-breasted Babbler) is Singapore, but it is not in the checklist either, and surely for a reason.

Yes, there is at least one. But it is a different question if it is acceptable as a local record. Skin trading was common at that time. For example, the type locality of Setaria albogularis (Grey-breasted Babbler) is Singapore, but it is not in the checklist either, and surely for a reason.

If I am not wrong, the current Nature Society of Singapore's Bird Group checklist is based on the sightings in the last 30 years. As such, Grey-breasted Babbler may have occurred in Singapore before the rapid urbanization era. The babbler is still found in Panti (Johor, Peninsula Malaysia) which is around 1 hours drive after clearing the land border checkpoint at Woodlands.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back