• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ER on Swift 8.5x44 HR bins? (1 Viewer)

lulubelle

Am looking at possibly purchasing a pair and while I have heard great things, I am a bit hesitant because I wear glasss and would hate to get them and find out they aren't compatible. From an individual, so don't have a try & return option. I tried and am sending back a pair of Burris Signature Select 10x42's - can't get both barrels to focus & eye relief just isn't quite what I need. For those who have or have had these & wear glasses - have they been a good fit for you?

For me, the eye relief on the 804 HR/5 is somewhat deficient. With glasses part of the field is blocked, so I use them without glasses. On the other hand, I can see the full field with the current 820 Audubon, which has outstanding optics like the 804. Take a look if you can. The Model 828 HHS Audubon roof is made for glasses, but sacrifices FOV in order to gain eye relief. It has too much lateral CA for my taste, but not everyone has the same taste.

Last edited:
I have a few of the Audubon 8.5x44's.
I wear thick-ish eye glasses.

The Roof version has tons of ER, but is not quite as sharp as the Porro version.

The eye relief is i think, the same on the older HR/5, the rubber armored porro, and the ED porro versions.

I have actually compared the FOV of the ED version against a couple other binoculars.

The ER with my thick-ish eyeglass lenses and the rubber all the way down, cuts my FOV to about 7.5 degrees, (from the advertised 8.2 or 8.6 degreess, or whatever).

One thing about the Audubon 8.5 x 44s is that they can be collimated in the field without disassembly. All you require is a small watchmakers screwdriver.

Rex

It is short. And the eyecup design does not really convince me that I could not scratch my glasses on them. I don't consider them a good choice for eyeglass wearers.

It is short. And the eyecup design does not really convince me that I could not scratch my glasses on them. I don't consider them a good choice for eyeglass wearers.

My 804R Mark II's have rubber roll-down cups and would not scratch eyeglasses. You still can't see the whole field, but they don't scratch. If the HR series uses hard-material eyecups, then of course I'd be concerned.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back