• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Near Bukit Lawang N Sumatra rice fields (1 Viewer)

ebwilderae

White bellied sea-eagle perhaps?

A pretty autonomous rooster. Sure looks like jungle fowl to me.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_5118a.jpg
    IMG_5118a.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_5121a.jpg
    IMG_5121a.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 74
Ah, you've been to Baan Maka too? Wonderful place must return. In US we have refined this bird to wings at Hooters which is a well-spent afternoon.

Yes we saw O honey buzzards in Thailand passing through at that time so would make
sense and appreciate your comments re structure. I do see some black at the tips but maybe not enough for the other.

Not a White-bellied for me, structure and the lack of obvious black in the wing, looks more like a Oriental Honey Buzzard.

Not sure about the Junglefowl, I've been fooled by very close domestic in Thailand... thought most southern had a large white patch in the rear wattle - http://orientalbirdimages.org/search.php?p=46&Bird_ID=53&Bird_Family_ID=&pagesize=1
Don't know about Sumatra, but other than that, yours looks pretty good.

Definitely not a Sea Eagle and agree with Oriental Honey Buzzard.

For me I'd say the Junglefowl is mostly likely domestic or at least not a pure native one - the white-patch should also be present in Sumatran ones (at least in my guides but I've not been in person yet). In the rest of Sth East Asia I don't give the males a second look if the white patch isn't present.

Thanks for the link on the sea-eagle. I need to spend more time at opus. Clearly not that one so going with O honey-buzzard which I think now is Crested h-b. Thanks again.

I agree that the Junglefowl is a domesticated version, Those legs are too beefy and the overall structure is off.

Pretty sure the raptor isn't a Honey buzzard but probably a Changable Hawk-Eagle. Check the very obviously bulging arm on a generally very broad wing. I'm not quite sure if Wallace's HE can be completely disregarded.

The three main characteristics of a pure Red Junglefowl are (1) Large white rump; (2) White wattles in front of the usual red ones; and (3) grey legs. Other less reliable ones include the smaller size and generally longer spurs. Your cock is clearly a domesticated one.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back