• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tayforth Birding (2 Viewers)

In Braco this morning, there were 40 Waxwing (and 2 Fieldfare) in Front Street. At Carsebreck a White-tailed Eagle, being bombed by Buzzards and Crows, two Red Kites, a Hooded Crow (or hybrid) and a Stoat eating a roadkill rabbit.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    379.9 KB · Views: 86
Finally caught up with some Waxwings today in Broughty Ferry, thanks to a facebook message from a friend. Around 30 in tree tops shuttling across a busy road to feed on bushes at the other side. Got some nice close shots before they flew off north over the houses.

More photos on my flickr page.
www.flickr.com/stonefaction

Attachments

• 8197253506_5edb06b7ac_c.jpg
    8197253506_5edb06b7ac_c.jpg
    285.9 KB · Views: 84
  • 8196157137_7846d1db3b_c.jpg
    8196157137_7846d1db3b_c.jpg
    323.1 KB · Views: 69
  • 8196146819_d9f66b8c0e_c.jpg
    8196146819_d9f66b8c0e_c.jpg
    328.9 KB · Views: 77
  • 8196154421_ca62d3674f_c.jpg
    8196154421_ca62d3674f_c.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 70
  • 8196152845_7ae57842c8_c.jpg
    8196152845_7ae57842c8_c.jpg
    375.9 KB · Views: 77
2 short eared owls flew over my head at tayport at the start of the tentsmuir forest paths,both birds headed towards buddon,1 ringed meadow pipit feeding on the wall at tayport shoreline

Went to St Andrews yesterday and had a rather good day. 3 Snow Buntings at Out Head. 2 Great Crested Grebes in St Andrews Bay along with at least a couple of Red Throated Divers (2 flew into the Eden at high tide). Common Scoters and Long Tailed Ducks in decent numbers too. A flock of 40 Knot wheeled round the breakwater. A Great Northern Diver was a surprise find not too far offshore at the East Sands.

Attachments

• 8212623772_bc9d6b96a1_c.jpg
    8212623772_bc9d6b96a1_c.jpg
    278.5 KB · Views: 99
  • 8211539189_0d48dd307b_c.jpg
    8211539189_0d48dd307b_c.jpg
    300 KB · Views: 75
  • 8211529207_a461683f06_c.jpg
    8211529207_a461683f06_c.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 79
  • 8211536127_2c29953ba7_c.jpg
    8211536127_2c29953ba7_c.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 85
  • 8211535627_8b780ce716_c.jpg
    8211535627_8b780ce716_c.jpg
    295.2 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
I'm looking at some Waxwings from my lounge window. At long last.

Now off to see if I can get a bit closer to them as they're in the next street. Oh if only the day was a bit brighter. Ah well.

Well I found them. The best picture I got was of the hedge a nanosecond after the bird had gone! Then they all flew off two streets away and I couldn't re-locate them. Will keep trying - there were about 30 of them.

Lovely Red Throated Diver at City Quay in Dundee this afternoon. Merry Christmas to everyone here.

Attachments

• 8307615976_6978b3727c_c.jpg
    8307615976_6978b3727c_c.jpg
    344.3 KB · Views: 83
  • 8306564297_449aef5e31_c.jpg
    8306564297_449aef5e31_c.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 77
  • 8306561573_526b7a4be1_c.jpg
    8306561573_526b7a4be1_c.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 80
  • 8307599748_0c14d34634_c.jpg
    8307599748_0c14d34634_c.jpg
    302.9 KB · Views: 58
  • 8306567581_7e5c4a80c8_c.jpg
    8306567581_7e5c4a80c8_c.jpg
    355.1 KB · Views: 75
1 jay flying over drumgeith road heading towards the football pitches/2 magpies feeding on the small patch of grass on the corner of loons road/eastwell road/3 waxwings in the trees on arbroath road at the cemetary,all in dundee

January 1st. A decent day out in Dundee area to start a new yearlist.

Herring Gull, Feral Pigeon, Blackbird, Woodpigeon, House Sparrow, Carrion Crow and Blue Tits seen en route from home to swannie ponds. A Sparrowhawk flew into trees on south side of Clepington Road as I crossed towards ponds. At the ponds were Herring Gull, Common Gull, Black Headed Gull, Mallard, Tufted Duck, Moorhen and Mute Swan. A small skein of 8 Pink Footed Geese overflew in silence, rather unusually. From there I walked down to Baxter Park. Not a huge amount around but Chaffinch and Great Tit were additions near the north gate. A Mistle Thrush flew south from the trees towards the east gate. 2 male Bullfinches feeding in trees by that gate and a Waxwing flew round in a circle calling while another called from a perched position out of sight. Headed up Dalkieth Terrace where a few Fieldfares were in trees at top end of the street. A Coal Tit was on the corner of Dennison Road. Another Waxwing was heard, then seen over the TA Centre flying back towards Baxter Park.

Eastern Cemetery was my next stop and I managed to walk right past a tree with 3 or 4 Fieldfares and a Redwing plus a Greenfinch on my way in without noticing. Fortunately I spotted them before I'd gone too far. Another few Great Tits, Blue Tits and a Coal Tit were seen here. Bumped into another ADBC member who was looking for Waxwings, so we had a wee hunt about. Got the only Robin of the day here too. A Sparrowhawk flew over, possibly also looking for Waxwings. A flock of 30+ Waxwings flew over calling towards the eastern corner of the cemetery but just before we got to them they took off as dog walkers walked below the tree they were in.

Headed down to the Stannergate next where single Curlew, Redshank and Oystercatchers fed along the shore. A small flock of Red Breasted Mergansers were seen out in the river. A Linnet flew over and Greenfinch and Goldfinch were in the bushes by the fence by the wasteground towards the oil rig. Next stop was Balmossie where a few more ADBC members were encountered and sightings compared. Bar Tailed Godwit, Great Black Backed Gull, Cormorant, Knot, Turnstone, Eider, Wigeon, Pied Wagtail, Rock Pipit were all added here though the tide was still quite far out and the low winter sun made scanning with binoculars tricky. From there we headed to a rather quiet Barry Buddon. Chaffinch and Greenfinch were in bushes near the entrance, and a pair of Dunnocks were next up. Carrion Crows seemed to be the only birds around in any numbers, though a couple of skeins of Pink Footed Geese flew north (75 or so in the larger of the two groups). At the shore there was a small flock of Oystercatchers, plus around 6 Bar Tailed Godwits and 2 Sanderling. A flock of small waders (Dunlin or Ringed Plover) flew off before I got a proper look at them so went unidentified. A distant Buzzard hung in the wind round towards the lighthouse. A juvenile Grey Heron was sat by a flooded area of the camp and a female Sparrowhawk had two passes at some of the finches as we neared the way out. A Magpie was the final addition to the list as we drove back out from the car park. Stopped again at Balmossie where two male Goldeneyes and 3 Red Breasted Mergansers gave closer views than previously. Around 100 Redshanks and 4 Turnstones roosted on the outflow pipe by the burn. The light was starting to go, and nothing else was added to my list as I headed for home. Ended the day on 47 species, which is a new best for my January 1st listing.

Last edited:
Up early and headed down to get the bus over to Tayport. Carrion Crow seen at end of the road bridge but not much else, except Feral Pigeon on the factory roof when I got off the bus. Walked across the golf course to Morton Lochs. Heard a Great Spotted Woodpecker call but couldn't see it, but luckily one flew over about 100 yds along the track. Heard a Jay call and saw a pale-ish bird fly up into the trees but got better views twice later on confirming the ID. A Buzzard was sat on a fence post. Near the hides a mixed flock of Great, Blue, Coal and Long Tailed Tits were feeding in the trees. Goldcrest and Wren foraged lower down, and a Robin was seen.

Out on the water were Mallard, Moorhen, Teal, Wigeon and a few Grey Herons were dotted around the edges. Woodpigeons roosted in the trees. A smallish flock of Lapwings wheeled over the fields beyond the trees and some Pink Footed Geese overflew. Walked to the other hide but nothing new there. Headed out the access road a bit (better views of the Jay here), but only 2 Mute Swans on the other loch. Another 2 on the pool in the field to the south of the road. Surprised to find a Stonechat here, along with a Reed Bunting. Spotted a group of folk with dogs and guns over the fields to the north. When the shooting started, all the pigeons, ducks, herons etc took to the air.

I had a look at the north loch from the road as the shooting continued with ducks landing and taking off constantly, and was happy to add a pair of Gadwall to the list. Lifting the binoculars again, I found myself looking at a grey duck with a dark browny head and a white cheek. The camera had been in my bag, but I grabbed it to get a record shot of the rather distant redhead Smew. Bang, went the guns and up went the ducks, bringing the Smew closer, but it took off again flying away from me as I focused on it. Still, it makes up for missing the Kinnordy bird yesterday. By the time I got back to the far hide the water was almost empty, so I headed back across the golf course to walk out to Tentsmuir Point.

House Sparrows and Starlings were in the gardens as I walked along. Common, Herring and Black Headed Gulls plus a few Oystercatchers and Redshanks were out on the mud, but the tide was a lot further out than I had intended it to be. No Snipe were seen on the saltmarsh, but a Meadow Pipit did fly up as I picked my way across the multiple muddy channels. Eiders, Cormorant and Shelduck were added as I walked out. The sun came out making it a lot warmer than I expected, which made it a bit harder going than I'd have liked. No sign of Green Woodpeckers at the site I sometimes find them. Long Tailed Duck and Red Breasted Mergansers were on the large tidal pool. Found a flock of Coal Tits, with a few Great and Blue Tits feeding in the trees, plus a nice wee party of Siskins. Also 3 Mistle Thrushes noisily lifted from the dunes.

Heading back along the shore a few Bar Tailed Godwits were seen, but no Grey Plovers. Decided to walk through the caravan park to the duck pond before heading up to catch a bus home. A small flock of Goldfinches overflew, and a group of 4 Blackbirds were foraging by the burn. As I reached the north end of the caravan park, I spotted a large-ish flock of what turned out to be Bar Tailed Godwits wheeling round just offshore. With them were a few Dunlins and a small number of Redshanks were closer in. Nothing unexpected on the duck pond, so made my way up to the bus stop on the main road. Managed to add Collared Dove to the list before the bus showed up.

Headed to St Andrews today. Herring, Common and Black Headed Gulls plus Redshank, Oystercatcher, Cormorant around by the golf museum car park along with the very tame Rooks. A Great Black Backed Gull flew in and a Common Scoter was out in the bay but little else was on the water.

Decided to walk out to Out Head despite the beach being busy with walkers and horses and kite buggies. Around halfway out spotted a single Ringed Plover as it landed on the shoreline. Later a flock of Sanderling and some more Oystercatchers were seen. Wren, Blackbird and Dunnock were seen near the golf course dumping area, and a Pied wagtail was in the dunes. Not much around in the Eden at Out Head except a Red Breasted Merganser, a few Eiders and a couple of Goldeneye. A mixed flock of Bar Tailed Godwits, Knot and Dunlin flew in. Further round into Balgove Bay there were 100s of Knot and Oystercatcher down by the shore with Curlew, Redshank and a single Knot a bit further up the beach, as well as some Dunlin and more Ringed Plover. A Rock Pipit flew along in front of me. Feeding out on the mud were Shelduck and I thought I could make out Brent Geese but I wasn't 100% sure. A bit further on I had better views that confirmed 2 birds. Spotted a further 6 later on flying in low from somewhere. The tide was well out and so were most of the birds, so I decided to continue out from the end of the golf course along the high bank between the fields and the beach. A Mute Swan was on the pond on the golf course.

A Buzzard spotted me before I spotted it and flew in over the fields. A bit further on I found a small flock of finch-like birds which thankfully landed nearby, giving me good close views of 6 Twite. Had to bump up the ISO levels on the camera to get any sort of decent photo. Not much else was seen between here and Guardbridge, except a Greylag Goose and a Meadow Pipit. House Sparrows and Starlings were in the village before the bridges, and an unseen Pheasant was in among the weeds in an overgrown area making a bit of noise. Two Long Tailed Ducks were a surprise between the bridges and the camera was at its limits trying to get anything at all of them. 4 Little Grebes were on the river at the other side of the bridge. Walked round to the hide for a welcome seat and a short break. Blue Tits were in the park, and around the feeders. A couple of Grey Herons were the only new species out on the mud. Speaking to folk in the hide it turned out I'd just missed a Short Eared owl hunting opposite the hide before it flew off northwards. Added Great Tit on the feeders then decided to try the wee nature reserve north of the bridge in case the owl was in there. No luck, but Teal and Goldeneye plus Mallard were seen on the river and a host of Pink Footed Geese had arrived out on the mud. A Peregrine was in its usual spot. Only Blackbird was seen in the fading light within the park, but there were 2 Peregrines when I passed on my way back out.

Attachments

• 8349780429_dc40979e32_z.jpg
    8349780429_dc40979e32_z.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 82
  • 8349778329_4622104084_z.jpg
    8349778329_4622104084_z.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 80
  • 8349779095_2d0a291d94_z.jpg
    8349779095_2d0a291d94_z.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 62
  • 8349781623_dfc2cdf3aa_z.jpg
    8349781623_dfc2cdf3aa_z.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 73
I took a walk to the Wigeon hide at the Montrose Basin at lunchtime today. Nothing too exciting at the hide itself, but there was a nice flock of 70 Twite at the junction where the Wigeon hide track joins the Shelduck Hide track. Mostly feeding on the ground near a dungheap but occasionally flying up into 2-3 tiny trees next to the track.

At least 6 were colour ringed, which I am trying to follow up.

Attachments

• 1-DSC_0391.JPG
    1-DSC_0391.JPG
    113.3 KB · Views: 95
  • 1-DSC_0440.JPG
    1-DSC_0440.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 88

Users who are viewing this thread

Back