• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grenada Hummingbirds (1 Viewer)

Arbu

In Grenada a few years back, in June, I saw four types of hummingbirds -

Purple-throated Carib
Green-throated Carib
Antillean Crested Hummingbird
and one which I understood at the time (although my bird book was basic and didn't cover it) to be a Rufous Hummingbird. It was much harder to find than the other three.

I believe there are no other hummingbirds commonly seen in Grenada.

But now I understand that the rufous hummingbird is a summer visitor to NW USA and Canada and winters in Central America, so that would make this ID seem unlikely. Can anyone confirm what this was?

Grenada is supposed to have four species of hummingbirds according to Raffaele et al. You correctly name the first three, and the fourth one is Rufous-breasted Hermit, which could become "rufous hummer" if someone is a little sloppy. Local names are reported to include Brown Hummingbird and other variations of brown.

Cheers
Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back