• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mrs wants some bins (1 Viewer)

Chilt

As the title says, she tried my Nikon aculon 8x42 bins but she has a imbalance and they made her feel a bit dizzy, are there any bins out there that would be more suitable say like 5x25 or something as I think it could have been the zoom and how big the things look?

Thanks for any help

Chilt

Chilt,
There could be several reasons why dizziness results.
One is that there is slight misalignment at her interpupillary distance, which may be different to yours.

Then, the magnification may be too high.

There are several fairly low price 6.5x32 Porroprism binoculars.
I'll have a look at the Opticron site. They have a reputation for good service.

5x25 binoculars are uncommon, although I use an excellent old Foton.
There was a Bushnell, actually nearer 4.4x 25.

As to caps, mentioned elsewhere.
A bit of bubble wrap at the bottom of the case should protect the 8x42 Aculon. I am not sure if caps are needed when hanging around ones neck.
I keep binoculars in cases with no objective caps, but with eyepiece covers.

Opticron Adventurer T WP 6.5x32 Porroprism binocular seems to be suitable, maybe around £60.

9 degree field stated. 53mm minimum IPD if that is suitable. Fairly lightweight.

There is also the 4x22 Dowling and Rowe Roof prism binocular with a 16 degree field.
It is sold under other names.
There is the 6x30 version sold from Netherland sites at a low price. Perhaps 30 euros plus shipping?
However, I would avoid these as there may be quality control issues with remote buying.

I would stick to U.K. supplies from a good source.

Last edited:
My wife wanted an inexpensive pair and we went to an RSPB reserve where she could try some binoculars. She opted for the Puffin range which she loves. Give them a go, if your wife does not like any binoculars, at least you have both had a good day out.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions! Gonna have a look into them all! She might beed to go and try some to see what there like! :)

Thank you all!

Chilt

The Dutch source of the Libra 6x30 WA superview roof prism binocular is Kamera Express.
But risky without seeing first and testing each one.

30 euros is cheap if good, plus shipping I suppose.

Canon seems to be having sales on the 8x25 IS stabilized binoculars, I recently saw them for $160. Not sure if they have equivalent closeouts in the UK. They'd be somewhat heavy for a 8x25, but the view will be very stable.

$160 is cheap for a good Canon 8x25 IS, if new.

We have had two good ones, old style stabiliser and new type.
But the third isn't good, so they vary.

The optical windows may also fall out with use, as there is little to hold them in.
They also take camera type batteries, and one should have a spare battery.
The batteries are expensive in Australia.

The best 8x25 IS has a wonderful stabiliser.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back