• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Crete - Lammergeiers? (1 Viewer)

Tombo_0207

Hi all,

I thought this would probably be a better place to put it as I didn't have that much success on the bigger forum.

I'd love to know where to find them. We will be staying near Selekano (South -Eastern Crete) and I wondered whether they are perhaps in that area.

Also any places nearby or in general on the island where I can find good birds - e.g. Eleanora's Falcon, Black Eared Wheatear, Chukar, etc. - Would be great.

Any info greatly appreciated. Cheers.

Hi all,

I thought this would probably be a better place to put it as I didn't have that much success on the bigger forum.

I'd love to know where to find them. We will be staying near Selekano (South -Eastern Crete) and I wondered whether they are perhaps in that area.

Also any places nearby or in general on the island where I can find good birds - e.g. Eleanora's Falcon, Black Eared Wheatear, Chukar, etc. - Would be great.

Any info greatly appreciated. Cheers.

Have only just seen this .
You dont say when you are but Black-eared Wheatear have arrived , Chuklar are resident also they are bred for hunters so most will probably be captive bred. Eleonoras yet to arrive.

Although not too familiar with the area you are visiting I will try to give you a few locations. Lasithi Plateau for Bearded Vulture also Xa Gorge south east of Elounda. . Kofinas is also a good area Golden Eagle and Bearded have been seen up there.
Chukar are all over in the hills and mountains , but you need to get out early and listen for them to locate.
The same with Black-eared Wheatear try in the hills near rocky areas and maybe on the back end of beaches. alongside mountain tracks they like to sit on the stones at the sides.
Eleonoras will arrive later this month and usually breed on the islands to the north , if you are lucky you may get some coming in from the sea.
Red-footed Falcons due any day now.
Hope that helps

Thanks very much, I did forget to mention that when we will be staying, which is the 10-21st July.
I suppose there are probably a few less birds at that time of the year compared to spring when there are passage birds? I think Lasithi in particular is pretty close to where we are staying so that's great.
Cheers,

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back