• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Halkidiki Sept 2017 (1 Viewer)

neilh

Not a birding trip, just a fly and flop, with temperature peaking over 35 everyday not much chance to do much else !!

2 weeks at the Ikos Oceania at the top of the Kassandra peninsula, luxury indeed, I found a patch of scrub and small trees on a steep slope between the pool and the beach, I had half an hour here most days at different times.

Obvious birds here were Hooded crow, Magpie, YL gull, Med gull, a constant drift of swallows south, more Red Rump than Barn and the occasional Swift, with the odd Pallid. Swallows one day mobbing a Levant Sparrowhawk with diagnostic dark wing tips. In he scrub, Spotted Flycatcher, Redstart, House and Spanish Sparrow, Red Backed Shrike, Greenfinch and Sardinian Warbler. My biggest debate with myself here, using internet and pouring over Collins, was with 3 small warblers. Eventually deciding on imm Sub Alpine (got a mature male as well), Lesser Whitethroat (grey and dark legs) and Olivaceous (between the two with light legs and two tone bill). Not easy these as the never stayed in view for very long.

We hired a car for 3 days to have a look around.

Tried Lake Volvi area for Flamingo and Pelican, but saw neither, we did however add Pygmy Cormorant and Whiskered Tern, along with drive by Beeeater, Tree Pipit, Crested Lark, Yellow Wagtail and Woodchat Shrike.

The lagoons between Agios Mamas and Nea Potidia were better, the southern ones had some water and some waders as well as a sizeable Gull roost. Ruff, Wood Sandpiper, Greenshank, Little Stint, and Little Ringed Plover. The scfub between the pools and the sea looked like they would merit more time than we spent, Marsh Harrier, Buzzard, Whinchat, Wryneck and various unidentifieds flitting about, Syrian Woodpecker on a telegraph pole here as well.

A trip round the Sithonia peninsula only added Lesser Kestrel sitting on a post by the roadside.

A total of 55 species was better than I'd expected we booked it, and some good birds even if it was hard work !!!

"A total of 55 species was better than I'd expected we booked it, and some good birds even if it was hard work !!![/QUOTE]"
Very interesting , thanks for sharing.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back