• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My impression on Kowa Highlander Prominar (2 Viewers)

His wife. Now behave.

;)

I, for one, would love to look through one of the Highlanders some day. Wide field eyepieces with excellent CA control....what is not to like?

I know you also own a docter optic 40x 80.
Which is the better?
I also own a 40x80, but those kowa's look impressive!

Hi, i send you the answer written on Cloudy Nights some months ago

However I bought the Kowa Highlander Prominar because I watch a lot of birds of prey and ungulates. For this reason, I needed a pair of angled binoculars with the possibility of changing the eyepieces.
When I walk a lot in the mountains I use my spotting scope but, for prolonged observations ,I prefer the big binoculars. In this field , Kowa Highlander Prominar is incredible: great contrast, no chromatic aberration, no rolling ball effect (for me) and a great construction.
The Kowa Highlander Prominar in the middle of the field, provides high contrast images but it is difficult, for me and my friends, to determine wich is better. They are two different binoculars, like Ferrari vs Lamborghini;

The simplicity of the Docter optical system provides , in astronomy, nicer images. Infact Kowa Highlander Prominar is composed of a roof penta prism + prism to 45 ° It has also a neutral density filter before the eyepieces.
Looking at the bright stars with the Highlander, sometimes you notice some spikes and some reflexes that are not seen in the Docter -Porro Prism. In addition, the Docter Aspectem has pinpoint stars to the edge. In contrast Docter Aspectem is limited to his 40x magnification and for the vision straight that is tiring.
It sounds crazy but I have bought the Kowa Highlander Prominar mainly for birdwatching and for landscape observation.
There is also an inexpensive option to these great binoculars: the new Vixen BT-ED70S-A
My friend Corrado Morelli has both the Kowa Highlander and the Docter Aspectem and is excited about the optical performance of the new Vixen BT.
Obviously it’s not waterproof but you can use all the astronomical eyepieces.
Best Regards
Piergiovanni

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back