• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

M7 8x30 loose armoring (1 Viewer)

I talked to Nikon today. They want me to start the whole process over again. That is, ship the binos back to them a second time - again at my own expense. I balked. They said OK, we'll send you a shipping label.

The guy on the phone (not a tech, a customer service rep) said that they would have had to remove the armoring to have performed their (non-solicited) cleaning and collimation and then put the old armor back on. He feels that they must not have seen a problem or they would have addressed it at that point. I have no way of knowing if the armor has been removed or not but it creaks and groans in exactly the same place as before.

I asked for a replacement pair. He said the binos would have to be "evaluated" before that could happen. And how do you get them evaluated? Send them back in and go through the whole process again.

So I've had them 8 days, then gave them up for 15 days, have had them back for 1 day, and now am to send them back in again - when I receive the shipping label.

I bought these on Amazon so I'm going to go explore my options there.

Thanks for letting me vent.

You really need lots of other pairs of backup bins, then you can relax about it more.

I'm really not kidding. I have one in for analysis? at the moment which really should be simply replaced as the whole focusing is knackered so I assume a complete disassemble required, but at least I bought another 5 bins this summer to keep me going in emergencies B :)

I don't really want to know unless there is some sensible reason but why get so stressed over this Nikon?

It's only a squeaky bit of rubber from what I can tell. Was it so unbearable?

Seems it is. Not a complaint often heard of. My M7 has rubber a little loose in places but for me it's fine as long as it doesn't worsen and it seems not to be doing so.

As long as the optics are good I'm pretty happy.

I see you have a point about Nikon not directly addressing your problem but still maybe chill out some?

I bought these on Amazon so I'm going to go explore my options there.

I also own one of these 8 x 30's, so I read through this thread with considerable interest. (I know, just a month late.) I hope you get it/got the issue resolved. I will never again buy anything of "substance" from Amazon, as three times I've had used goods sent me. Did you notice whether or not the pair you bought gave any indication that they were used? I will deal only with a local store or a reputable online company like B&H Photo.

Regardless of any of that, Nikon should have addressed your specific directive. Even if they thought nothing was wrong with the loose armoring, they should have commented as such.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back